1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Echo 8010 kill switch / wiring issues?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Scottdubya83, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Scottdubya83

Scottdubya83 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central, LA

So last fall I bought a Echo 8010. They had a sale going on so I got it 25% off plus a case of Red Armor Premix fuel.
    I have been really pleased with it, except in January I was doing a little clean up, it started easy as always. But after bagging some leaves, I tried to restart and it wouldn’t. Hurt my shoulder pulling on it so much. Finished the job with Shindy 802, and dropped it at shop as it was just a few mo the old and very little use. I knew it wasn’t the fuel had sat too long as other stuff ran fine (plus I use no ethanol mixed with Saber so it can sit up a while). Turned out, it was a faulty kill switch. Under warranty, no charge, sometimes things are just bad from jump, so no big deal. Well last week, same thing, clean up, starting and killing it, was all fine then just died. Flipped the kill switch back and forth and pulled and it started for maybe 10 secs then died. I played with the wire, twisting the handle all the way over and it started with the cable in a bind. I tried to flip it back right, and it died. So again finished up with the shindy. Dropped it off Friday. Hopefully I get it back this week and have no more issues.
    Anybody else have issues with wiring / kill switch on 8010’s? It’s right hand throttle version.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Never had a single issue with mine now in the last year and a half. This sounds like it could be a vendor issue possibly. Your dealer may have just received a bunch of switches that were from a bad run. Now watch, mine will go out next time I use it. LOL

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Pull the kill wire off.....kill switch on tube?

4. OP
    OP
    Scottdubya83

Scottdubya83 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central, LA

Yes, 8010T, Kill switch on handle of Right hand throttle on tube.. I didn’t have The time or desire to mess with figuring out what was up with it. It’s under warranty so I just dropped it off at the shop and Been using my 802 for a couple days. Ill reply the determination. They’ve already said it’s same thing as last time which I believe was said to be the kill switch but I’m not sure. it’ll be ready tomorrow.

hort101 likes this.
  5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I didn't know anything about this so thank you for posting it.

hort101 likes this.
  7. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

Agree.

Will be calling dealer tomorrow.

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I called mine today. I will probably take it in tomorrow.

fritowrdo and Bumpmaster like this.
  9. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Any info on new straps would be appreciated Rider.Thumbs Up

10. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Mine a little sun faded but would be nice to get new straps an take a year an a month of use off of old straps.

Ridin' Green likes this.