1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo and Carb problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am finding that my new echo trimmers and edger "260" series are leaking fuel out the carb, soiling my air filters. They leak out the muffler causing a big mess. These machines are often hard to start, the bolts that hold the muffler on break off inside the exhaust port as well.

I now have a unit, 260 trimmer that would no longer run. The dealer said it needs a carb kit. He says it is because of bad gas, or dirt in the fuel that causes it. This trimmer is less then 4 mo's old, and I use high quality 89 octane with fuel stabilizer. I change the fuel filter and air filter regularly (by neccesity). Is there a posibility that this problem is not because of my fuel, or maintenance practices, but because of some inherent flaw in this type of unit? I run the same fuel in all my trimmers and blowers, and have no problems with these other units. I have a Shindaiwa that is fairly anchient which has never had these type of problems, nor has my Stihl blower that is quite old.

I would like confirmation that It may not be me, so when they try to stick me with the bill, I can raise a stink with a good reason to do so.

I like my Echo Blowers, but do not see buying anything else Echo in the future. I am very disapointed since they departed from the 2601 series.

Any help is appreciated.

Jay

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

There is a recall on some Echo trimmers and other equipment. The recall has to do with bad fuel lines and possible fire hazard. Do a search on this site for "Echo recall" for more info.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Echo is notorious for carb problems. If you do a search on this topic you will be amazed at the number of posts.

4. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

I have all echo trimmers, hand blower, Hedge trimmer and can't wait to get rid of them. I hate all there starting problems due to carberation problems. I have Kawaski Back pack and love it. Two pulls always starts warm or cold. Echo 20 pulls later never know whethers going to run or not. I am done with any Echo products.

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

The recall has nothing to do with the 260 model.

And your not alone I have the same problem, but not just echo. Kawasaki dot he same. I have heard the Shins have no heating problems and run fine all day.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah like Turf said, it's not just Echo's stuff. When I first got my Kawi trimmer, if I left it in direct sunlight, the gas would expand and push fuel into the engine. It did it so bad one time that I had to pull the plug out and drain fuel as it had hydrolocked itself. Before I got my enclosed trailer(problem solved), I would just throw a towel or big rag over the motor and that fixed it...You can also loosen the cap a little as well. That's the only thing that has ever tarnished my opinion about an other wise excellent trimmer.