Echo Backpack Blowers vs Stihl?

mikeypizano

LawnSite Senior Member
Picking up an Echo PB-500t soon, but just wonder what the general opinion here is. I love my Stihl trimmer, but the Echo is a good bit cheaper. I won't use it much, mostly for blowing off sidewalk and driveway for the most part.

Alan0354

LawnSite Platinum Member
Stihl BR380 is about the same price and about the same power. IT is about the most bullet proof blower around. Not say the Echo is bad, just say BR380 has years and years of perfect reputation. It is an old design which is a good thing.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Stihl BR380 is about the same price and about the same power. IT is about the most bullet proof blower around. Not say the Echo is bad, just say BR380 has years and years of perfect reputation. It is an old design which is a good thing.
Agreed. The BR420 and 380 have identical engines and power (56.5 cc's). The 420 version has larger diameter tubes than the 380, which changes the specs a little. The 380 turns out 181 MPH and 465 CFM's. the 420 turns out 172 MPH and 518 CFM's. The higher CFM's are better at moving wet and or heavy debris.

The BR380 is a very close match to the Echo 500 though it does have slightly better specs than the Echo 500 which is at 50.8 cc's, 450 cfm's and 160 mph, and both will do the job for you.:)

Southscapes03

LawnSite Member
I cant say enough about my Echo PB 755, Its is 4 years old and for about 3 of those yrs it has been choked to turn off(i get lazy sometimes) with the original spark plug and air filter. I recently had to replace the throttle cable and went ahead and fixed the on/off switch, and its just like new! My vote is for any echo product

OP
M

mikeypizano

LawnSite Senior Member
The only Stihl in my price range is the BR200. I don't see the BR380 or BR420.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
The only Stihl in my price range is the BR200. I don't see the BR380 or BR420.
The BR200 is a tiny homeowner blower. It isn't even as powerful as my SH85 handheld. Stihl is dropping the older 2 stroke designs like the 380 and 420, which is too bad IMO. A lot of dealers still have them on their shelves though, so have your dealer check with other dealers in the Stihl network for one for you (if you are interested enough). There's no charge to get one shipped from dealer to dealer, at least there's not supposed to be. parts will be around for quite a while since there were so many made.

Alan0354

LawnSite Platinum Member
For a medium size blower, get the BR380 or 420, particular they are on the way out!!!! You can't get quality like this anymore.

Hughes Landscaping

LawnSite Member
My first backpack blower was a Home Depot Echo 500. You would be better off buying a used backpack blower off Craigslist than spending the $300 for the Echo 500. Don't buy homeowner equipment and expect it to run strong and be reliable. We dumped the Echo on Craigslist and bought a Stihl blower.

OP
M

mikeypizano

LawnSite Senior Member
Well, how much is the BR380?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Well, how much is the BR380?
For that, your best bet would be to call around to Stihl dealers yourself. Since Stihl is phasing out the 380 and 420, dealers will be more likely to be willing to make you a good deal on one just to get rid of them before inventory time/tax time, especially since it's the off seson.

BTW, the Husqvarna 150 BT they sell at Lowe's or HD, is a darn good, and pretty powerful blower for $300 bucks. I have a Husky BP blower and it is a stud, but then again, it is the second largest one they make now (570 BTS). Husqvarna makes good stuff, and I say this owning far more Stihl stuff, including 2 of their BP's.