Echo Black Diamond Trimmer Line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CGros31, Apr 19, 2017.

1. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

Would like to know if anyone has tried the new Black Diamond Trimmer Line from Echo? Thoughts?

hort101 likes this.
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Love the stuff cuts clean on the side of the line when cutting on the back swing of your circle , end does not fray and right now is the best line for the dollar at HD. Buy a bunch so they keep it out there. This and Gator platium are the only two lines I'll run these days. I edge a lot and these cut the mustard especially at long line lengths.

3. kubotamann21

kubotamann21 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Raleigh NC

Yes, I really like this trimmer line, although my favorite is the shindaiwa silentwist line, .95, but the black diamond is my second choice.

OUTDOOR_24_ MN, hort101 and CGros31 like this.
  4. CGros31

I bought some today. Ready to try it out.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I bought some of this stuff a last weekend and decided to use it today for the first time. Here are my thoughts on it-

The bad first- it is soft and wears extremely fast for trimming along chain link fencing. I didn't even bother trying to edge with it as I normally use my stick edger, plus, IME, if it doesn't last for chain link, it won't last for edging concrete very well either.

Now the good- this stuff is by far the fastest cutting trimmer line I have ever used. By far. It will cut cleanly at just off idle, and when spooled up towards WOT, there's nothing I have seen that can cut anywhere near as clean and fast. It went through some stiff, 1/2" thick stemmed weeds like butter where even the GMST will sometimes grab on a bit.

I do a lot of chain link, so will always have Gator Magnum Super Twist with me, but if all I am doing is normal trimming, it will always be this stuff. It also seems to stay fairly straight coming out of the eyelets of my SF head unlike most lines that tend to get all twisted or curly looking after use. It seems to run pretty quiet too.

gcbailey, hort101 and GoPappy like this.
  6. CGros31

I haven't tried it yet because I'm still waiting to run out of my other string. I am ready to give it a try though. Luckily for me I don't have much chain link fence to deal with.

hort101 likes this.
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Yes, cuts fast, clean, with my husky 535 I'm killing my lawn times on any yard with a lot of trimming.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

How does it compare with Stihl X line .95? I have been extremely happy with this stuff and compared with gator platinum it seems to cut better, last longer, stays straighter, and holds up to fence lines better than anything else I have tried. Basically that, Echo Crossfire, and Gator platinum are all I have tried and the X Line stands out.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I like the black diamond .095 line. It cuts like a hot knife through butter through just about everything. The only other line I use if Ugly-line .095 and both seem to wear-out the same when edging.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  10. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma

I thought it was supposed to last longer on brick/rock/chainlink? Not the case?