Echo HC-152 hedge trimmer will not start

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
I'll assume a few things here....regap your plug, .030 plus a blonde one so it's a little wider.
Check the mag/flywheel that the key is not sheared/missing. I don't know if Echo has the molded key on the flywheel or if they use an woodruff key. But it sounds like your timing is off. Inspect the key if it is molded for any wear.
Lastly, next time you try to start it, take the muffler off. A carboned up/bad cat muffler would /could make to much back pressure.....

OP
C

chstein

LawnSite Member
I'll assume a few things here....regap your plug, .030 plus a blonde one so it's a little wider.
Check the mag/flywheel that the key is not sheared/missing. I don't know if Echo has the molded key on the flywheel or if they use an woodruff key. But it sounds like your timing is off. Inspect the key if it is molded for any wear.
Lastly, next time you try to start it, take the muffler off. A carboned up/bad cat muffler would /could make to much back pressure.....
I went with brand new plugs and tried several, including taking one from a working trimmer and trying it in the problem trimmer.

With the new short block, you have to pull the clutch assembly and the flywheel from the old unit and put them on the new one. There is a key, but it is lined up. I was thinking timing, but I can see that it is lined up.

I checked the muffler, took the screen off and was able to blow air cleanly through the intake side and out the evac vent.

I can't believe something put together so simply can have me this stumped.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
You went from a working machine to this...I would have to assume that the short block is defective at this point. Reach out to Echo and see what they say..

OP
C

chstein

LawnSite Member
You went from a working machine to this...I would have to assume that the short block is defective at this point. Reach out to Echo and see what they say..

That was my plan. I just wanted any other input someone might have before ripping this down for the third time.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
I thought that too and checked the intake and used a new gasket.

Even with a new gasket, if the isolator is warped, older one more so. What I do is take the isolator and some emery paper, of a flat surface, and sand both sides square.....

IMG_0480.JPG

Top Forums