Echo PAS speed feed trimmer and brushcutter attachments gear box

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member
Today I was cutting through some thick, long grass with my trimmer and brushcutter attachments powered by my PAS-2620. I was cutting through the grass at full throttle. After doing this work I noticed that the gear box is very hot. It would burn my hand it's so hot. I just bought all my PAS equipment in June. Is this normal for that to be so hot?
Do I need to take it back for warranty repair?

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you mean hedge trimmer or string trimmer?

OP
Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Shouldn't get that hot. Warm, yes. Burning hot, nah.
Take it back.

OP
Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member
Should I be needing to grease this so soon after purchasing it?
I'm in OH right now and don't have my grease with me. Is it ok to use it some more before I'm able to grease it?

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Should I be needing to grease this so soon after purchasing it?
I'm in OH right now and don't have my grease with me. Is it ok to use it some more before I'm able to grease it?
For the hedge trimmer gear box it has a zert fitting supposed to grease about 8 hours iirc
Echo recommend white lithium grease or echo red armor

If its got a bolt you grease that and check level on string trimmer
20190928_110013.jpg

Whats the owners manual say?

OP
Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member
Since I'm not home I don't have my manual or grease.
I called my dealer, Shank's Lawn Equipment in Marion, PA, and the repair guy told me that it's normal for the models I own to get that hot. These ones are built for it. He said that since my equipment is so new it's even hotter than it will be in the future because the gearbox is still getting broken in.
Thanks all for your responses. I would have called the dealer first but by the time I was concerned they were closed. Thanks!