Echo PAS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ron mexico75, Oct 20, 2017.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Silver Member

Is it worth getting? I know I've heard guys talk about the Stihl Kombi system but not much in the Echo.

I was looking at the 266 model which is under the most powerful 280. The 280 is not compatible with the hedge trimmer attachment. Not sure why but that's the next tool I want to get, articulating extended hedge trimmers. The one I was considering was the Echo HCA 266 which is $550.

The 266 PAS head is $300 with a 25.4 cc engine. The articulating hedge trimmer head is $280. So it's $30 more but now I have the option of buying separate attachments. I could get the tiller, power pruner, brush cutter, edger. Is it worth it and is it on the same level as the Stihl? All my equipment is ech by the way.

hort101 likes this.
  2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I have a pas 230Thumbs Up
    Have run 266 and 280
    280 for the bed refiner:weightlifter:

3. ron mexico75

Yeah...I guess the most powerful 280 is needed for bed redefining which I would love. But....it doesn't accept a hedge trimmer attachment! I'd like to have both. Don't really want to purchase a 280 head and the articulating hedge trimmers separately.

Now I'm wondering if I should be looking at Stihl because if this?

4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

It's overkill for the hedge trimmer
    The 266 is a long time power source and reliable reputationThumbs Up
    I like the 230 for the regular hedgetrimmer attachment
    It would be nice to have articulated one

5. ron mexico75

Just looking at the Stihl equipment. Man their engine models for the system are a lot more powerful. Also a lot more expensive as well!

6. ron mexico75

Any other thoughts on this? Are there not that many users of these?

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Price wise they are about the same. I think the echo hedge trimmers will work on the big unit its just not rated for it. The echo power heads are HEAVER than Sthil, even thought they are 2 stroke.

I was going to replace my Sthil Kombi with Echo this year, but the investment wasnt/inst worth it, I have 3 Sthil <one is dead> power heads and most of the attachments. The Sthil are finiky about starting, but the attachments are bullet proof.

Hope your doing well @ ron

8. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Member

I have the kombi 111 I use it mainly as an edger but have the trimmer head, for over grown and back up. I also have the 0* hedge trimmer, with the 111 head I barely get it over idle to cut 99% of the time.

The price was not that much more than echo and I can run a redefiner when I can afford it and the hedge trimmer with the same head.

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I think 2 power heads and attachments is the way too go sthil or echo.

I looked at Shindawia and they dont have the power the echo or sthil offer.

10. beaureguard

beaureguard LawnSite Member

I use the articulating hedge clippers with the PAS280 every year. It's not a lot but I did use it.