1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Echo PB400 Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MrBill, Nov 21, 2006.

1. MrBill

MrBill LawnSite Member

I have had this Echo PB400 blower for 20 years! I use it for home yard work - a few times in the spring and more in the fall. I've had the carburator replaced a long time ago because it got too gummed up from lack of use & poor storage. Since then, I've learned how to winterize, etc., and the machine has been providing good service.

I had to have the pull cord replaced this past spring. The repair guy was impressed with the 'like-new' condition of this blower. However, since then it's been extremely difficult to start. I don't think the starting problems are related to the repair. Here's what happens:

I try to get it started the way I always do - choke on & partial throttle. I pull and pull; rest a while; close throttle; pull some more; change choke position; pull some more; remove air cleaner; open throttle just a bit; choke open just a bit; pull some more; unscrew gas cap; pull; replace it; pull; check plug; pull & pull & then it kicks over. This goes on for about a half hour! But at first it only will go at a very slow idle. If I try to give it too much gas it bogs & stalls. Then I slowly give it more gas and it slowly works its way up to full RPMs. In the meantime, I replace the air cleaner & then get set to do my work.

I went through this this weekend. It runs fine once it gets going. I used up almost a full tank of gas doing my leaves and after refilling, it was hard to start again. Not as bad as from a cold start but it went through that same low idle until it could get going to full speed.

It's not old gas; I use 2 cycle gas in my lawn mower so it's replaced enough to be fresh. It's not a bad plug - I get plenty of spark. I notice that when the blower is running, the choke position doesn't seem to have any effect. One time, I squirted some gas directly onto the piston and that got it to kick over. I need a new gas cap & should replace the fuel filter. But I don't think those are the major issues.

What should I do? I've read about carburetor rebuilds. Should I do that? Or adjust the carb? Replace the carb? I've read about the spark arrestor problems. What bugs me is that once it does get going, it really works fine.

This machine has a Walbro type WA carburetor. Where can I get rebuild kits for it?

I want to do this fix myself because I'm sure the repair bill could not be justified for a 20-year old machine. Sorry to be so long-winded but please help!

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Just by coincidence, I have a PB400 in my shop right now with the sluggish/starting problem you describe. I checked compression, replaced fuel filter and plug, rebuilt the carb(Walbro K10-WAT kit). I'd say the compression should be at least 110(mine was 140). I found trash in the filter screen inside the carb. Unit started fine after the above was done but was sluggish(slow coming up to top speed). With the unit running, I sprayed the carb area with a combustible carb/choke cleaner and it killed the unit. Pulled the carb and iso block(between carb and jug) and found it to have a crack. As a result it was sucking a lot of air and little fuel. Picked up new gaskets and isoblock today but haven't completed the job.

Carb kit should be available at most any 2 cycle repair shop.

The 400 is a good old blower but it doesn't have the volume of the newer high end blowers.

you may wish to check collapsing fuel/vacuum lines as well.

Dutch

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If need be, you can go to www.echo-usa.com and with your model and serial number, you will be able to access a complete breakdown. You will need to enter the model as pb-400 as I recall.

Dutch

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Have you replaced the fuel filter and vent? Then get a carb rebuild kit and clean the screen as previous post has indicated. There are a couple parts that wear inside the carb and it can't pump sufficient fuel.