Echo PB8010 vs Stihl BR800

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Turf Tracer, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

I been running primarily RM and Husky for last 7 years and nothing could touch them until Maruyama. They don’t usually come out in succession like this.

2. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Cool. You should post a blower mph and CFM rate class thread. lol

Ridin' Green likes this.
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That would be fun. Problem is, I have no scientific way to prove what the specs actually are. I can only go by what they do or have done in the real world on grass, gravel, sticks, and leaves.

I wish, wish, wish, the manu's would all use the same exact testing method like they do now with small engines, only with the HH's, I'd like there to be only one rating system and one spec rating (like J1995 etc). They could, but they don't want to be tied into any set rating method as that would handicap their advertising campaigns.

BTW- I have posted a number of videos on here in various threads in the last few years showing what some of my blowers can do in heavy leaves on the same day back to back.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  4. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

can't wait too get my hands on the new echo BP and see what RM and husky have coming out. Not much of a stihl guy...

Ridin' Green likes this.
  5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Me either as fart as their 4 mix BP's go as I hate the sound, but I have to admit, the few pics I have seen of that 800......it looks really nice.

Walker56 likes this.
  6. superbuick

superbuick LawnSite Member

Yes sir - I still have both (and a new baby so havent had too much time for posting!)

I used them both extensively last fall and in terms of moving leaves "As they fell", I liked the BR700 better. For moving piles or wet leaves, its not a contest - the BL9000 wins. I added the curved tip to the BR700 and liked it alot better with that. The BR700 has more hours than my Maruyama (I run meters on everything) so make of that what you will. But if I had to sell one, I'd sell the BR700 (go figure...) The lightness and overall fit and finish of the Stihl is incredible, but I kinda hate the 4-mix sound and overall characteristics. As Ridin' Green has said, the BL9000 is so smooth, and you can tell the engine is a high performance engine. I find it comical that anyone would choose a redmax or husky over the BL9000 - other than maybe "Dealer Support" (which is a joke in this area). The BL9000 is so much smoother and refined. I will always be open to new products, and if redmax/husky comes out with a new model, I'll buy and try, but my experience with the 8500 was poor, and having my review deleted (I was one of the first to buy one years and years ago and I posted here about it, and it magically disappeared...) has left a sour taste in my mouth.

If the Pb-8010 turns out to be a "bigger PB770" I'm all in - I LOVED my 770, and sold it only because it had fallen behind in the CFM wars.

Stand by - I have a pre-order in on the PB-8010 and have spoken to my regional Stihl rep about a demo and purchase of the BR800 this fall (there will be extremely limited availability - main launch is next spring). As soon as I get my hands on them, you will get detailed pictures and my thoughts (so that certain folks can dismiss them and argue with them and tell me I'm wrong lol)

Ridin' Green, Razorblades and hort101 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

If specs are correct, having both is the way to go.

BR800 for scouring and peeling wet grass off hard surfaces Spring. Blowing holes in leaf piles and blowing out beds Fall

PB8010 for moving debris off hard surfaces quickly Summer. Keeping leaf piles moving quickly Fall.

Specs indicate they will perform better than Husky 580’s, yama 9000 and Shin 854’s currently used.

8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Great pointsThumbs UpThumbs Up
    I haven't seen anyone get edited for telling the truth
    Maybe before my time

Walker56 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

8500 is a rattletrap. 580 much better execution

hort101 and superbuick like this.
  10. superbuick

superbuick LawnSite Member

I agree - yet around here, its "8500 or nothing". 99% of landscapers here are redmax blower zealots and wouldnt even think of trying anything else, which is funny, because in MY eyes they are using one of the WORST blowers out there. And it sounds horrid and coarse too.

hort101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.