Echo Speed Feed Head

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by kenwin30, Aug 15, 2019 at 3:00 PM.

1. kenwin30

kenwin30 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, first time user of the speed feed head, when i bump the head to feed more line it seems to me the line is getting sucked up in the head opposed to feeding out, is the spool on backwards or what ?

Thanks

Mownmachine144 likes this.
  2. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know about that one. Been running speed feed heads for 2 years now, I usually don't run into that problem to much. When you bump the head are you at high idle or slightly mid idle?

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    kenwin30

kenwin30 LawnSite Member

4. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm.. that shouldn't be happening at that speed

5. OP
    OP
    kenwin30

kenwin30 LawnSite Member

could the spool be in backwards ?

Cam15 and Ma&Pa like this.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

not a fan of these. nothing like struggling to thread the line tru the holes when its 95 deg. I can load the old echo heads in 1 minute.

7. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

I think when you twist it to load the wrong way the line just falls out so something could be on backwards or jammed

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

You have the inside spool in backwards. Take it out and read the directions on it .......the arrows and writing shows which way to install it for straight shaft or curved shaft trimmers.

sjessen, Doc8406, Cam15 and 6 others like this.
  9. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

Had the same happen to me. The spool isn't in backwards because it will go in either way, What is happening is when you wind the string you are turning the the top part of the head, it's easier to wind this way but it winds it backwards. You must hold the top thin part still and turn the big part with the string only. The string will wrap around and get tangled up after a few turns but this is the only way. My Echo dealer wasn't even aware of this until I showed him. Now he instructs customers how to wind string.

Doc8406, Ma&Pa and hort101 like this.
  10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That's not right.
    I use either the top or the bottom or sometimes both at the same time and it always winds it right as long as you follow the arrows to wind it in. It is like a ratchet wrench in that, which way you set the spool is like using the little lever to set which direction the wrench will tighten and which way it will ratchet/the inner spool will actually wind and not ratchet.

If he has a straight shaft trimmer and has the inner spool in backwards it will do exactly what he is having issue with. I use the word backwards because it is if he has it in the correct way for a curved shaft trimmer.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    Derwood, theltz81 and 13Razorbackfan like this.