Separate names with a comma.
Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.
Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RugerRedhawk, May 25, 2012.
Yeah I'll give it a go. The spark arrestor screen was clean.
Did you take it out, or just looked at it?
I remember when the RedMax was acting up, I looked at it in the muffler. looked good to me! The owner said use the other trimmer, I'll pul it. So as I was fueling up he pulled the screen. It didn't look all that bad. Then he cranked it up and that baby ran like a Scalded Ape! He said the RedMax dealer said to pull em. None of his trimmer have ever started a fire!
Since the carb initially did not allow the engine to do anything, there are 2 things you can try. One has already been mentioned. If it has an L mixture screw needle and an H mixture screw needle, try turning the L screw counterclockwise about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. The L and H screws are usually marked and the L screw will be the one closest to the engine. I feel that the fuel pump in this diaphragm carb has dried out somewhat (doesnt take long with E-10 in the gas). Retrieve the model number off of the carb and order a G &D (gasket and diaphragm kit) for it. They are really inexpensive and usually cure the hard-to-start and poor/no acceleration issues. This is a VERY common problem with 2-stroke weed trimmers of ALL brands.
I have repaired a bunch of Echo units and there is never a reason to get a new carb. At most get the $10 kit and learn to install them.
Thanks, I figured there was some adjustment I coudl make with those mixture screws, but wasn't really sure where to start. I'll try that out and see where it leads me.
Well my only 'reason' for the new carb would be if it saved me time compared to using the rebuild kit. I'll fire up some youtube videos of the rebuilds and see how long it looks like it might take me.
Some Echo machines use those newer "rotary-barrel" carbs. They are a different animal to tune than the butterfly valve diaphragm carbs. Most have NO adjusting screws, but some of them can be enriched from their ridiculously lean condition by removing a plastic cap, pulling out a brass sleeve and inside is the magical High speed jet with a slot in it! You open that baby up a little and it starts much easier, accelerates and runs like a bat.
Thanks, this is an srm-2100, it's 15-20 years old. It has two adjusting screws plus an idle adjustment on it.