Echo SRM-2100 will not idle even though usual suspects checked

luck11

LawnSite Member
Hi. New to this forum.

Let me start by saying that I have read a bunch of other threads on this issue and have done all the things recommended that I can find.

1. Last year, replaced the carb, fuel lines, grommet, gas tank vent, fuel filter and spark plug
2. Cleaned the carb again this year.
3. Checked the spark arrestor screen, dirty but not clogged.
4. Turned the L fuel mixture screw counter clockwise a few times, as much as 1/2 turn.

So my unit starts fine...very easily in fact. Touch the throttle, and it is very responsive...no delay, no bogging down...goes right to high speed no issue. Once I let go of the throttle, regardless of my choke setting, once it gets back down to idle speed, it immediately stalls.

I took the carb apart again and gave it a cleaning even though seemed all good. Checked the diaphragms and when I pulled off the cover, the one opposite the primer bulb, with the round steel disc with 5 holes in it, seemed somewhat deformed. Not out of shape but was not sitting totally flat, with one side of the bumped circle kinda sticking up, from the rest. See attached picture. Is it possible this is the problem?

Other than this any suggestions on what the likely issue and solution might be? I have had this trimmer for a long time (bought new), but only for occasional use on our small suburban residential lot. So, it is in fantastic shape otherwise, and would like to getting working right and keeping idle again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• 20210828_174748.jpg
    20210828_174748.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 40
OP
L

luck11

LawnSite Member
Oh, forgot to mention that it was bogging down when I would press the throttle, but that was quickly fixed by backing off the H fuel mixture screw by about 1/4 turn. As noted above, the throttle is super responsive now...touch it and immediately gains speed. Just the idle issue to address.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
OP
L

luck11

LawnSite Member
Yes. Took it right off and while build up of carbon inside, it looked OK. That said, it looks like exhaust flows through some sort of chamber network in there so what I can see is limited as would be my ability to clean inside. Exhaust does flow through. Would this not mostly affect higher speeds?

OP
L

luck11

LawnSite Member
Quick update. I went out and checked the muffler again as well as the exhaust port on the head. As I recall, both had some soot on them but really nothing significant. my spark arrester screen was black, but no where near caked up or clogged. I still took the torch to it to clean it all off. Took about 5 seconds that's how little was on it.

But followed your advice ed2hess. I pumped up the idle even more and it stays running now. The idle is high for my liking but for my limited use on a residential lot, it will work just fine. Otherwise, it runs like a charm.

Top Forums