Echo SRM 225 vs Shin T235

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
Well, I shut off my Redmax trimmer and heard an instant saddening clank... It is probably real bad. I have gotten a lot of use out of it though so I can't complain.

A new Redmax is not going to be an option for me anymore. I want to be able to walk in and get parts etc, and I can't do that anymore. I was really a pain to stick with them this long and where I would try to get parts dreaded to see me walk in. So that is that.

I "think" all I really need nowadays is just a basic light trimmer, but not box store or homeowner junk.

So I am looking at the Echo SRM 225 vs the Shindaiwa T235.

I have more purchase options with the Echo and have more places I can go for parts when I need them. But then the parts I generally need would essentially be the same parts since the engines are the same. Usually you need carb parts, fuel delivery, gaskets and bump heads.

The Shindaiwa I have less purchase options on and so I am going to pay more for it. $50 would be about the max difference I think. But I am kind of leaning towards the Shindaiwa version for the steel driveshaft and greasable gearbox. I think I like the handles and throttle a little better too.

Can anyone offer some advice here? I am still kind of hanging on the fence. I'm noticing things like the Echo has a 17" swath and the Shin has a 20" so I am wondering if they are geared differently or if it is the solid shaft vs flex cable.

I keep thinking about this and keep thinking mainly I just don't want something that vibrates a lot because that bothers me more than anything else I can think of about a trimmer.

OP
Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey saw man, still around, cool!

My Redmax was a 25.4cc like the Echo 2620. But I am not using a string trimmer the same as I did back in the day. I'm not mowing much banks or ditch lines or just string mowing in general to avoid grabbing a 21" mower etc.

I have a couple of places where I do a lot of general trimming of grass and one place where I used it more for an edger than a trimmer. No actual weed whacking or clearing. Generally I was thinking I just need something light with no vibration because the one place is a lot of trimming, just shy of a tank of gas.

With that said, what are your thoughts on the cable drive vs the steel drive shaft as far as vibration goes. I am for some reason pretty sensitive to vibration and can't handle much. I can remember owning some trimmers that had some minor vibration and after some extended use I lost the ability to reach up and brush stuff off my face.

I had to go somewhere that sold used stuff so I could get my hands on some that were running. That was a long long time ago now. But I think that is when I bought new Green Machines, or new Shindaiwas. Can't really remember.

saw man

LawnSite Bronze Member
The Echo, I have not noticed much vibration with but I have had customers complain about some of the Redmax when they let the throttle off, something I don't notice. For a light weight trimmer the Echo 225 is hard to beat. Cable vs solid shaft is not really that big of deal to me, real world use is not something you will notice.
Good to hear you don't have much hard work with the trimmer anymore, thats always a good thing.