Echo SRM-230 Grass Trimmer, should I replace carb with cheap aftermarket

ComfortControl DD

LawnSite Member
I have a Echo SRM-230 Grass Trimmer/Brush Cutter that I purchased in 2009. I only used the SRM-230 as a grass trimmer for my residential home trimming the grass every other time. Always use quality gas and 2 cycle oil.

I noticed the last few times the Echo SRM-230 was getting harder to start. Couple of times I had to pull the plug and noticed the spark plug soaked with fuel. Simply pulled over the engine several times with the plug out to get the excess fuel out of the cylinder, dry the plug off, then installed the plug and the grass trimmer would start.

Now this week I got the grass trimmer started and within 3 minutes the engine shutdown. I also noticed the engine got very warm for only running 3 minutes.

Took a look at the plug and it was not wet. Took a look at the air filter and it was clean and dry.

I pulled the muffler off to make sure it was not filled with carbon and the exhaust port was fine.

Compression seems fine and I could see the piston looking down the exhaust port and the piston and rings are fine.

The coil is fine since the spark plug sparks fine.

Checked the gap on the plug and it is set to 0.030 inch

I took off the carb and it seems clean but the trimmer is over 10 years old so there is probably some small piece of debris messing up the carb.

I watched this video on echo srm230 carb replacement

and it seem like for ridiculously cheap money $17 I can buy a complete aftermarket carb with extras parts at
Looking for input from the members if first you think my problem is the carb and second if I should buy this cheap $17 carb or should I spend $61 for the Echo SRM-230 Carburetor A021000723 OEM
at https://www.propartsdirect.net/echo-A021000723.aspx

Thanks for reading this post and any knowledge you can share.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
The short answer is no, don't but any carb......

....the long answer, when was the plug replaced, plugs do go bad. At a minimum, 90 psi for compression. Hard starting could be bad crank seals, gaskets worn out from heat cycling, spacer to the carb and cylinder head warping, fuel line with a pin hole leak. I would do a leak down test, plenty of videos on the tubes on how to do it, before I buy a carb.

OP
C

ComfortControl DD

LawnSite Member
A new spark plug and fuel filter is usually my first course of action. Air filter too but you said that's in good shape.
Okay I took the first course of action and replaced the filter air, fuel filter, spark plug,

I checked the compression and I have 120 psi

I took apart and cleaned the RB-K70A carburetor with carb cleaner. The diaphragm for the metering and pump look fine. The diaphragms are still flexible, not rigid or cracked.

Put everything back together and pulled over several times and motor fires and for a second and then shuts down. I pull over again and motor fires and for a second and then shuts down. I pull the plug and the tip of plug is slightly wet so I know it is getting fuel. I pulled over again and motor fires and for a second and then shuts down. Eventually I start to smell gas from the exhaust but when I pull the plug it is not like super soaked. With the plug removed, motor upside down, the pull over expecting to see a good amount of gas spray out of cylinder but I DO NOT see much gas come out, just a fine mist on the first pull and then nothing - so to me it doesn't seem like the engine if flooded.

Any other ideas to fix this SRM-230 trimmer? Trimmer is in great shape and I only use it for my home. I trim every other cut so I would guess it gets used like 14 or 15 times per year. It takes about 1 hour to trim. So say 15 hours per year, the trimmer is 11 years old so my guess about 165 hours on the motor.

I have not done the "leak down test" Breezmeister recommended since I did not find a youtube video on this for small engines but did find several "leak down test" for cars. Again compression is 120 psi so that should eliminate bad piston, ring, cylinder, warped head

I also bought an aftermarket carb kit on Amazon (amazed it came with NGK BPM8Y plug, this is were I got the filter air, fuel filter all for $17). I put the aftermarket carb on trimmer and it did not solve problem. Same thing plug over 2 to 3 times, engine fires for a second and then shuts down.

I then put the original carb back on and same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Johnagain

LawnSite Senior Member
First thing is get ride of that pos chinese carb it will cause you nothing but problems for testing. This is the first thing we do at the shop when customer states I got new carb from amazon. We want the original. With getting very hot in 3 minutes I would say you have an air leak somewhere. At 11 years old have you replaced the fuel lines? Could be cracked and sucking in air. Spray some 2cycle around all seals to see if that helps. To get it running spray fuel straight into carb to see if you can keep it running. To get a leakdown tester to use on one piece of equipment will cost as much as that trimmer.

OP
C

ComfortControl DD

LawnSite Member
First thing is get ride of that pos chinese carb it will cause you nothing but problems for testing. This is the first thing we do at the shop when customer states I got new carb from amazon. We want the original. With getting very hot in 3 minutes I would say you have an air leak somewhere. At 11 years old have you replaced the fuel lines? Could be cracked and sucking in air. Spray some 2cycle around all seals to see if that helps. To get it running spray fuel straight into carb to see if you can keep it running. To get a leakdown tester to use on one piece of equipment will cost as much as that trimmer.
Thanks for your input. Yes I got rid of the Chinese carb and put the original carb back on. I tested all the lines by blowing into the line with my finger on the other end of the line and there is no air leaking - thus no crack or pinhole in line.

I have invested enough time in trying to fix the trimmer and decided to give-up and buy a brand new Echo SRM-225 for $219 and just move on.

Top Forums