Echo SRM 2620

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MWHC, Oct 8, 2019.

1. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I have A 2 year old Echo SRM 2620 trimmer that is going through spark plugs. Last one made it 3 weeks. Can a failing coil cause plugs to crap out fast like this? Any suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

New air filter installed?

Cam15 likes this.
  3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I doubt it.....Not a whole lot of information there.

Use a good quality spark plug to start with, NGK, Bosch, Champion etc. Gap it to spec. Good mix, mixed to oem spec.

Get fuel from some place else for a couple of weeks. The tanks can get stirred up when the they are filled from a tanker truck. It can get pass the filters in the pumps .......

And speaking of filters, you did inspect the fuel line in your tank ? Was the filter on the end of the fuel line.......

Cam15 likes this.
  4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

You might wanna pull the muffler and inspect the cyl. exh port fer clogging. Also look at the piston fer scoring, stuck rings, etc.
    You running longer string ? That will foul plugs unless kept revved up.
    Shouldn't have to, but ya can try a hotter plug.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Thanks for the ideas. I pulled the muffler and cleaned carbon on the first failure. The fuel is 91 octane with no ethanol/amsoil Sabre 50:1. The fuel is used on about 10 other small units and purchased weekly. I will replace the air filter, as I cleaned it the first time. I did not check the fuel filter. I will pull the fuel filter and replace.

Yes I run without guards on all the trimmers (5) of them, and I know it adds stress to them. I don’t think I could even trim a yard with the guard on after 20 years.

hort101 likes this.
  6. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Gold Member

A lot run that amsoil a bit lighter like 80:1 that could be issue but assuming it would be across the board for other trimmers too.