Echo SRM-3020 vs SRM-3020T

jc46

LawnSite Member
Wondering if anyone had some experience with the difference between these two trimmers. The only bit of information that I found to differentiate the two models was on the 3020T description was states:
"2:1 gear reduction creates 28% more torque than SRM-3020."

I notice that the 2620 has a 'T' variant as well. The difference in price is only around $30, so I would just assume that the 'T' model is the better one of the two? It just seems silly to have two different models of basically what appear to be nearly the same trimmer. Can anyone elaborate on the performance difference? Just wondering what the real world difference between these two models are for daily trimming where you're edging a sidewalk one minute and cutting tall heavy weeds another...

Ron_Swanson

LawnSite Senior Member
I have the 3020. It’s a great trimmer. Didn’t get the T because I figured the 3020 had enough torque and HP to not need the T head, plus it’s heavier. 2620 maybe I’d be more inclined for the T.

I haven’t used the 3020T. I’d like to try one to see how it compares. Doubt you can go wrong with either but I think the 3020 gives more flexibility because you can get that line moving really fast for a nice clean cut.

Ron_Swanson

LawnSite Senior Member
O and as far as the difference. The T head spins slower at any given RPM. So you have to give it more throttle to get the line speed you want which means more HP at a given speed. But, you can’t get the same line speed that you can with a non T version. So it’s a trade off with just gearing.

joed

LawnSite Bronze Member
These are excellent trimmers. I believe they are made in Japan. I have T versions of trimmers before. A few years back I had the Husqvarna 525LST. From my experience, I don't like the T versions because, as previous posters have mentioned, the head spins too slow and thus you don't get that nice crisp cut. The higher torque would probably be beneficial if you were cutting down thick brush for but for everyday mowing, I much prefer the standard version.

Ron_Swanson

LawnSite Senior Member
These are excellent trimmers. I believe they are made in Japan. I have T versions of trimmers before. A few years back I had the Husqvarna 525LST. From my experience, I don't like the T versions because, as previous posters have mentioned, the head spins too slow and thus you don't get that nice crisp cut. The higher torque would probably be beneficial if you were cutting down thick brush for but for everyday mowing, I much prefer the standard version.
Yup exactly. And with the 3020 you are getting a big enough engine to cut just about anything at the expense of some more weight over a 2620.

joed

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yup exactly. And with the 3020 you are getting a big enough engine to cut just about anything at the expense of some more weight over a 2620.
I was looking at the 3020 when I bought my Shindaiwa T262 (same as the Echo 2620) in April but I decided against it as I thought it was too much power for residential units. The T262 has been excellent so far and I think it has too much power for residential places.

OP
jc46

jc46

LawnSite Member
I went ahead and went with the standard SRM-3020, used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago on some heavy pasture grass that had been over grown and somewhat matted down with briars, etc. I then moved on and finished up the day using it for the regular trimming, edging sidewalks etc, and it worked great. It’s a beast of a trimmer, but very comfortable to use for extended periods. The loop handle is nice and rubbery and flexible. No vibration to speak of. I used the black diamond 105 line, and was very pleased with the performance. Maybe the T high torque model would show some benefit if you were doing legitimate brush cutting with a brush blade, but for my needs, using string, I’m satisfied that I made the right choice.

Scottdubya83

LawnSite Senior Member
IMHO, xTorque (T) vs non T depends on if you plan to keep the guard on, or not.
I will not own another non T model. I remove the guard before it see use. I like to run the line longer than the guard allows.
Initially I assumed HP was most important. When I bought my 525ls, I was very unimpressed as my RM2660T ran circles around it. When the 2660ts broke for good, I got a good deal on a Husky 430ls. I knew this was the same trimmer as the RM3050 just in orange. But when I used it again, I was unimpressed. Just felt like it lacked power. Next I got an Echo PAS2620. It came bundles with the trimmer attachment. As nice as it was, and as well as it ran my pole saw, edger, and hedge trimmer, I was just again unhappy with the trimmer. I found out about the proTorque trimmer attachment they offer and got it. Finally it all made since. All my old Red Max’s were always Max Torque models as that’s all the local shop stocks. So my PAS2620T becomes my favorite trimmer. than I had an idea. I used the gear boxes and shafts out of my old red Max’s and converted my Huskys to T models. They finally met my expectations. Last year I sold the 525ls and got a RM260ts. I love it! Just like my old RM’s but lighter.

To address one thing, the general complaint for the T models is being too slow. As the swath of string Gets bigger, the tip speed increases. This will make up some of that loss.
Well until or unless the line bogs down the engine. And that’s what always happened to me with non T trimmers