Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE save yourself the trouble and avoid this brand of weed eaters. The spool design is a complete joke. Yes, Yes, I got what I paid for, BUT YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD LAST MORE THAN 3 DAYS!:angry:

I bought a replacement head SAME THING AGAIN

Who designes this stuff for ECHO?

Some engineer with a a pencil who won't have to use the piece of junk.

This is what I get for not buying STIHL.

Thanks for reading.

Gene $immons

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lemon head --TWICE???

Sad part is that the motor is fine, and I like the weight of the trimmer. But how many expensive replacement heads do I have to buy?

Is there a way to attach one of my old Sthil heads to the Echo shaft or are they incompatable? Anybody done this successfully?

· Registered
613 Posts
I have not had that problem unless I don't tighten it completely. I do know that when they are new they are stiff. Without sounding sarcastic, are you putting a good turn on them till you feel it lock into place? If not the damn thing will fly off and your continually rewinding it.

· Registered
4,188 Posts
Originally posted by Gene Simmons
A lemon head --TWICE???

Sad part is that the motor is fine, and I like the weight of the trimmer. But how many expensive replacement heads do I have to buy?
None. Every piece in the head assembly is available to buy individually. Warranty should cover if defective, but honestly, it sounds as though you're winding the line on the spool backwards. Have your dealer show you how to do it.

· Registered
564 Posts
I have used Echo for over 15 years and have NEVER had this problem. Not to say I have not had any problem because I have but NEVER this one.If you are winding in the direction of the double c's it should not do that. When you put the spool in the head does it turn counter clockwise it the haed about 1/16 of a turn and make a click? I also push on the white piece before inserting the spool to rotate it so the tabs on the white piece face the holes in the head. Then I can insert the spool almost fully into the head and feed through the eyes before pulling the string out of their temp notches in the spool. Then it should make that final 16th of a turn counter clockwise with the spool and it should click into place in the head.

· Registered
969 Posts
Yeah those things are tricky to lock but after messing with it they work. We have 2 Lesco trimmers at work and they have those heads and you need to keep the strings in those slits and just keep messing with it. But I do have to say those are a bad design.

· Registered
391 Posts
GeneSimmons,
Let me start off saying that I love your music, man!

Those bump heads do come on other trimmers. They're universal and just have a different name when on a different trimmer. I bought a brand new Echo and a brand new Shindy and the cheapo bump heads were exactly the same except for a sticker labeling them Echo and Shindaiwa.

Throw the cheapo in the trash and get a Stihl Autocut 25-2 bump head. All you need is a $2 adapter from Stihl and your in business! The Stihl part # that works on most Echo trimmers is 4090-740-6802. Stihl also makes adapters for the Shindaiwa trimmers too. Forgot that part # though. I've got a total of 4 Echo's and 1 Shindaiwa all with the Stihl Autocut 25-2 heads on them.

Let me know if this helps. Alot of the Stihl dealers don't even realize they have these adapters.

· Registered
17 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
Ditto what you said gene
Ditto what yard man said
Listen carefully . throw the one that come with it at your neighbors dog . Never buy any more Echo trimmer heads of any kind

Get a STihl autocut head and adapter nut for about 30.00
string will last forever and its a breeze to change head covers , no tools . or lost covers on the highway . Echo owes me 30.00 for that junk , will settle up at G I E with those clowns who made that junk

You will need 2 flat washers to shim it out
Stihl heads are wonderful
Echos suck

· Banned
690 Posts
Hello,

The Echo Trimmer heads are Fine if you Know how to Spool & attach them.

Granted the Stihl heads are Better unless they are attached to a Stihl 85 Trimmer but I Have had no major problems with either head. Hardly Worth Switching IMO.

· Registered
501 Posts
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
Hello,

The Echo Trimmer heads are Fine if you Know how to Spool & attach them.

Granted the Stihl heads are Better unless they are attached to a Stihl 85 Trimmer but I Have had no major problems with either head. Hardly Worth Switching IMO.
Dude , when you get out of highschool , you'll get to use some of this stuff you talk about

· Banned
690 Posts
Well if you are talking about the Universal head that are the same as the Kaw Heads, I've got 3 seasons hard use out of them & no problems.

This is the same head as my Echo's & have yet to have a major problem with that either.

Mabe I'm Lucky but I did have problems until I adjusted some of the Hardware on the new Echos.

Just relating my eXperience.

Take it or leave it.

Scientific instrument Gas Machine Engineering Bicycle part

· Registered
1,022 Posts
The head you are speaking of is one of the best ones on the market today. That is why so many manufacturers provide them on new equipment (Echo, Husqvarna, Lesco, Kawasaki, etc.).

I have had a similar problem with the string coming out prematurely when bumping the knob. This is usually due to a faulty sproket mechanism where the spring is located. Either the spring is too weak or the sprokets are faulty and need to be replaced. Either way, on a new machine you should have recourse under your warranty.

I'd be happy to take that head off your hands for you, and for that matter from anyone else who dispises them. Like anything else, somethings work better for others.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.