1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Echo SRM3020/Shindaiwa T302 Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by joed, Mar 18, 2020.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Any feedback on the Echo SRM3020/Shindaiwa T302 trimmer? Is it too heavy for weekly lawns? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Ron_Swanson

Ron_Swanson LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 3020. I love it. Really powerful obviously and light for the power/weight ratio I think.

I would maybe get the 3020T if I were to do it again just because I generally like to run with less line speed but overall, it’s been my favorite trimmer so far.

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    joed

Thank you for the feedback. It definitely appears to be a fantastic piece of equipment. It is just the weight and whether it's too much power for weekly cuts that is a concern. My local dealer also sent me an email the other day. He has a Husqvarna 535LK unit for sale as well. It's about the same price as the Shindaiwa T302. The only difference is that it's a combi system. The spec seems to indicate that both units are pretty similar in weight. Not sure if a kombi-system is worth a try or to simply stick to dedicated units.

4. Ron_Swanson

Ron_Swanson LawnSite Senior Member

It’s not too much power here in northwest Arkansas because the Bermuda and weeds get so thick. You really need the power around here.

But I would do something like a 2620/3020 combo. Use the 2620 when you can and bust out the 3020 when it’s needed. I use nothing but the 3020 but I feel like that’s as light as I can go around here.

5. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

Don't see any reason people "need" a 30cc trimmer for weekly and b weekly maintenance. Cleanups yes, maintenance no. Too heavy and overkill for a daily mowing rig. Echo 2620/ ShindyT262/ RM BCZ260TS / Husky 525 is the sweet spot. 12lb 25cc range.

Ridin' Green and hort101 like this.
  6. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with this. The 2620 would be the way to go.

Green Industry Pro likes this.
  7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

I see the advantage of a larger CC'd engine as more available torque at slower speeds. For most residential work, I'd rather get the task done at lower RPMs, meaning slower flying debris...cuz you know it's going to happen. Yep, a larger engine will sip a bit more fuel...so, always a downside to anything.

8. OP
    OP
    joed

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had the Shindaiwa T262 trimmer last year but sold it in November because of the excessive vibrations coming up the shaft. It was a fantastic trimmer but vibrations would make my hand numb up after 3 hours. The dealer tried to remedy the issue but couldn't. He feels it was the hollow shaft that was creating the problem. I have tried the FS94 and 525LST over the past 5 years. The 94 had no power and the head on the 525LST seemed to just push the grass over without actually cutting it. So, I sold both of those two. Now, I am just debating staying with something small and light like the Husqvarna 522L or The Shindaiwa T235 or going with one of the larger ones. The trimmer is used predominately for weekly lawns. Not much difference in price between the smaller and bigger ones with spring sales and fleet week. Just trying to find that balance between weight, power, and productivity.

9. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Silver Member

when u say 'pushing over' the grass it makes me wonder the type string your using ? 20 years ago i started with round . then square came out and i realized the sharp edges on square cut better than round and that the round was 'pushing over' blades . then after going to twisted from square was same thing . then echo black diamond came out a it cuts better than the old twisted and leaves fewer 'pushed over' blades . im also wondering if you run trimmers at too low an rpm as ive seen guys do that , and the slow head speed leads to push over .

hort101 likes this.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/trimmers/535ls/966628602/
    Or you can add half a pound and have a real machine. Guys who run long line with no guards and have REAL trimmer skills, not the "tredgers" will reap tremendous results from a real trimmer. I am talking weekly's here.

DLL LLC likes this.