1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo Stick or Yard Machine Push Edger

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by steve124, Apr 24, 2007.

1. steve124

steve124 LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner but thought I would post here to get a professional opinion. I only need to edge my own 2 car driveway and some basic sidewalk and curb area and am needing an edger.

I can get the Echo PE200 Stick at HomeDepot for $200 or the Yard Machine 3.5 HP push edger at Menards for the exact same price. I know Yard Machine is a cheaper quality brand but I was thinking that maybe the increase in power might be good.
    I've read that the sticks are enough power for my application but I am still wondering which direction to go.
    I"ve never edged before and am guessing the time spent won't be that much different on my small job. I want something that will do a good job and have read the pushers don't do well on curves but I don't have any.
    I figure for the same amount of money, I would get the bigger one.

What should I get?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

get an echo weedeater, you being the homeowner will not use the edger that much, you can use a weedeater as an edger and then you will have the function of a weedeater....

2 tools in one

3. steve124

steve124 LawnSite Member

I already have a very nice Snapper weedeater so I'm not looking for a combo.
    I was just wondering if the Echo edger will do as good of a job as the pusher or will I be battling the Echo edger.

4. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

For your small area of edging the Echo would be perfect. I think it would be a hassle to get the bulkey walk-behind edger out every week.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I totally agree with TheLawnBarber. Much easier and faster to grab the Echo and edge than to get the cumbersome walk-behind out. Go with the Echo.

6. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

stick stick stick!

8. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

If the edge already exists, and you plan on keeping up with it, go stick. If it is over-grown, or may become over-grown at some point, go with the bigger belt-driven one. That's because the centrifigal clutch in the stick edger will slip when trying to dig out all that dirt along the over-grown edge.

If you can rent or borrow a belt-driven edger to get it done the first time, do that. Then buy a stick.

9. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're a homeowner, just borrow your neighbors
    stick edger.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would look into the wb edger in this case or a larger echo unit. The PE200 is almost worthless and lacks power IMHO.