Echo String Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Hill William, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Hill William

Hill William LawnSite Member

Hello all. Quick question about echo machines:

I’m going out on my own this spring and based on my budget I’ve narrowed down my choice for trimmer to an Echo SRM 266. If it matters, during my time with another company I used either a Stihl FS240 or the FS111R.

Can anybody tell me the difference between the SRM 266s and 266t? I believe both models have higher torque than the stock 266 but can’t find any other differences. Thanks.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The 266 is a flex shaft trimmer, the 266S is a steel drive shaft trimmer, and the 266T is the torque version.

On a call, Hill William and hort101 like this.
  3. Hill William

Thanks. Would you say the high torque model is worth the extra $40?

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Not for me, but I don't need the extra torque either. I prefer the faster line speed of the std heads on any trimmer. I run a RM BCZ260S and it is plenty for anything but field work. I have an FS250 for that.

Hill William likes this.
  5. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

The T models from Echo are great if you're cutting seriously overgrown grass, but if the majority of your trimming is normal then the 266 will be a great machine. Also, on a side note, I started running Echo Black Diamond .105 and it is absolutely awesome. My first batch of .095 would wear out quickly, but as the spool aged it got better. The new spool of .105 that I started using seems to last as long as the Crossfire I had been using.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The T models are a good pick if you have any thoughts down the road of converting it to a brush cutter or HD edger.

On a call, hort101 and Hill William like this.
  7. Hill William

Thanks for your help.

8. Hill William

Probably not for a couple years at least so I appreciate the heads up

9. Hill William

Thanks friend. I feel pretty confident now that it’s a good beginning trimmer for my business.

CGros31 and hort101 like this.
  10. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting. I've got a partial spool of Black Diamond .095 that I quit using because it wore so fast. It cut good, but seemed to be made a Cheez Whiz as far as durability.

Now that it has aged a few months, I'll try it again and see if there seems to be any change in durability.

Mine is .095. I'm using a SpeedFeed head, and I'm not sure if it will handle .105 or not.