Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At times, my Echo trimmer, model SRM-1501, dies when given gas from idle or will just die on its own at idle. However, it runs fine at times and always if you run it at full throttle or close to it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've tried that. It doesn't appear to be an idle issue. I think that perhaps the carb could use a kit but I'm just looking for other opinions first. The unit has approx. 500 hours on it and is about 20 years old.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I doubt it will adjust out with 500 hours.

Among other things needed in the carb, the diaphragms are probably stiff. When pliable, the diaphragms will pump and meter the fuel well. When stiff and especially at low speed, the metering diaphragm will move erratically causing uneven fuel flow.

If the carb rebuild does not solve it, look for a small air leak (manifold gasket, crankshaft seals, cylinder gasket).

Good luck
echoman

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi,

I have also had problems with the purge pump (below pump bulb in carb). To test or disable pump, cut some plastic like a freezer bag and place between the bulb and the carb housing. Poke a couple of holes in the plastic for the bolt holes. Start, run and test. If it works ok, leave as is. All the pump does is load the carb with gas when empty. Maybe you will have a few more pulls with the carb on choke with it disabled, but it can save a repair bill at the shop.

Although there are some rare exceptions, these are purge pumps (just load the carb with fuel then send the excess back to the gas tank) rather than primers.

Also, outside possibility of the gas tank vent being clogged. It is the minature whiskey bottle looking thing on the end of a fuel hose (white in color). You should be able to suck air through it, but not be able to blow through it.

Good luck,
echoman

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi,

OOPS !

Read your last post and realized yours is before purge pumps, so ignore. Maybe others can get some benefit because it applies to all brands. Trimmer motors have produced this problem with me rather than chainsaws.

I think your gas tank vent is on the gas tank cap (center). It should not be the problem since it would cause the motor to stall at all speeds due to vacuum in tank.

echoman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.