Echo trimmers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Heart&Soul, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Heart&Soul

Heart&Soul LawnSite Member

The local Co Op has Echo trimmers on close out. I currently run Stihl,but thought I might give these Echos a try. Any thoughts on the quality of Echo equipment? Just looking ahead to next year. They are the SRM-230.

2. Primo Landscaping

Primo Landscaping LawnSite Member

Srm 230 is a decent machine. We used one for a year and half commercially. Still have it as a backup. I felt it was slightly under powered for real thick long grass but would do the trick over 95% of the time. No reliability issues in 4 years of ownership.

Grassholes and hort101 like this.
  3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Keep running stihl

Wye Oak Tree, Grassholes and Todd73 like this.
  4. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

My Echo edger, weed eater, and hedge trimmers all died last week, so I'm jaded. Admittedly, the edger and weed eater were not top models and almost 3, but the hedge trimmers were under 2 and used infrequently, so that really annoys me. Tried to fix them myself and couldn't do it. All ended in in the shop. Repair costs for edger and trimmer would exceed replacement. Still waiting to hear verdict on hedge trimmers. All were/are going to be, replaced with Stihl (hedge trimmers on order). If the Echo trimmers are salvageable, they'll be repaired and sold. I'd stick with Stihl, although my 770 blower is still running like a champ.

5. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

On close out is the sign... echo was named after the guy yanking a cord and cursing. Jk their decent but I'd shy from the entry commercial stuff

JLSLLC likes this.
  6. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

The SRM230 is a great trimmer for it's size--it does get hot on the arm, but an $8 heat shield eliminates that problem. I know a full time commercial crew (2brothers) that has one that has many hours on it, it's now their backup trimmer, but still runs great. I have one with maybe 200 hrs, still runs like new. The Echo haters can say what they want, but the SRM230 has a good history!

theltz81 and hort101 like this.
  7. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Very worth the $ to get a high torque model. I have two pas 266. I also bought a 225 for backup and it was such a joke compared to the 266 that I got rid of the 225. Echos take a ridiculous beating and last a long time but I suggest using the echo red mix that has stabilizer in it. Ppl w issues prob leave them outside or leave untreated gas sitting
    for 2 long.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Heart&Soul

Heart&Soul LawnSite Member

They are going to quit stocking the 230. Marked down to $250.

9. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

I would almost bet it's more of a fuel or oil problem since it is a good portion of your 2 strokes. We had the same problems all the time before switching to 91 no ethanol and AmsOil Saber. We were running Stihl on Stihl Platinum oil with gas that had been treated for the ethanol.

Grassholes and hort101 like this.
  10. Tquick648

Tquick648 LawnSite Member

All we run is echo. Srm266 srm230, great for the money, we own 16 trimmers, 6 edgers, 5 backpacks, pole saws, hedge trimmers, chain saws. All good for my business

hort101 likes this.