Echo-Warranty Voided

Moon1234

LawnSite Member
I wanted to warn everyone here about Echo's policy of voiding warranties on string trimmers if ANY 87 octane fuel is used in a two cycle trimmer.

Here is my story. I purchased a PAS-2620 in June of 2018 to use trimming around my fence posts. It worked great until July of 2019. I was trimming and stopped running. Put some more fuel in it and it would not start. Took it to the dealer for service since it was well within the warranty period.

Got a call from the dealer that stated I used straight gas and the piston and cylinder are scored. I said that is impossible. Test the fuel in the line and tank. I have ALWAYS bought echo oil from this dealer and it goes in a ONE gallon gas can that is dedicated to this trimmer.

They tested fuel/oil mix and it was within spec. Still said compression is 65 PSI. Trimmer dead-No Warranty. Come get your scrap trimmer.

I was LIVID!!!!! I contacted Echo and explained all this. They confirmed what dealer said. Then asked what type of gas I used. I said 87 from the gas station. They then responded you need to use 89 or 91. Use of 87 octane gas will destroy the engine.

WHAT???

They essentially said no warranty for using 87 octane gas. Doesn't matter is fuel/oil mix is right. This trimmer has LESS than 100 hours on it and it scrap.

PLEASE, if you have or are thinking of buying an ECHO trimmer, keep this mind. They will VOID your warranty if you EVER use 87 octane fuel. I have attached the official chat transcript from Echo to this post so that you can see their official stance.

I learned something today. Echo doesn't stand behind their products. Make an informed decision on what you buy in the future. I sure will.

Attachments

ggb6259

LawnSite Senior Member
From the manual. If it's that critical then they need to put in the Big RED letters where the have the hand in the wih tiny prrint that says see fuel section.
------------------

Gasoline - Use 89 Octane [R+M/2] (mid grade or higher) gasoline known to be good quality. Gasoline may contain up to 10% Ethanol (grain alcohol) or 15% MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether). Gasoline containing methanol (wood alcohol) is NOT approved. ECHO brand Power Fuel™ is 93 octane, ethanol-free fuel premixed with ECHO Red Armor® engine oil at 50:1 ratio. Use of ECHO Power Fuel™ is recommended to extend engine life in all air-cooled 2-stroke and 2/4-stroke hybrid engines. Two Stroke Oil - A two-stroke engine oil meeting ISO-L-EGD (ISO/CD 13738) and J.A.S.O. FD Standards must be used. Echo brand premium Power Blend X™ Universal 2-Stroke Oil meets these standards. Engine problems due to inadequate lubrication caused by failure to use an ISO-L-EGD (ISO/CD 13738) and J.A.S.O. M345-FD certified oil, such as Echo premium Power Blend X™, will void the two-stroke engine warranty

tdipaul

LawnSite Senior Member
Matthew Becker: So using the 87 octane killed my engine?
Cristal: Yes it can affect the piston eventually

This is criminal!

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Curious to hear from the stalwart 87 octane users around here...:rolleyes:

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well did you read the manual and use the recommended octane? There is a reason they tell you which octane to run.
I'd disagree, if the difference between 87 and 89 is engine destruction it needs to be big letter warning. Almost ALL gasoline equipment is just fine to run on any of the commonly available grade gasoline in America. The difference being in ethanol content in which they give you warnings, of how high of concentrations and engine can handle.

They recommend a certain octane for my F150 too, but it won't void a warranty if I use 87.

OP
M

Moon1234

LawnSite Member
So Gents, I need comments on the Honda GX35. I want to move to a four stroke where this isn't an issue. I only bought the trimmer attachment for the current one. So I am out $400. If the Honda is reliable and this issue goes away, I don't see a downside (Other than spending another $400). I don't want to spend $400 every couple years replacing trimmers.

We are usually trimming canary grass and weeds away from electric fence. It is not lawn grass. Usually every couple weeks when the fence charger starts indicating the voltage is going down. We trim about 1.5 miles of fence around and under the T-Posts. This is to keep coons out of sweet corn and veggies fields (15 acre field). I need something that is reliable and works well.

I know it is an open ended question. The only downside I have heard of the Honda is the line feeding system is maybe not as good.

BigJlittleC

Banned
I'd disagree, if the difference between 87 and 89 is engine destruction it needs to be big letter warning. Almost ALL gasoline equipment is just fine to run on any of the commonly available grade gasoline in America. The difference being in ethanol content in which they give you warnings, of how high of concentrations and engine can handle.

They recommend a certain octane for my F150 too, but it won't void a warranty if I use 87.
Good thing f150's have been recommended to run 87 for a long time now.

It's not about if the 87 will cause the destruction. It's about not running the correct octane to keep your warranty. There is no need to even find out why at this point. If only the guy would have run what was needed to keep his warranty.