Edge trench around tree

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Joetee, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

I have a fairly large tree in my lawn. I want to trench an edge around it and mulch it.
    Trouble is, the roots are everywhere at the surface. Most are within inches of each other. I'm already about 8 feet from the trunk which is close to the leaf edge.
    I have a 1 acre yard.
    I'm afraid if I go out any further, it will look funny.
    Any suggestions?
    I have most of the yard already edged so I was hoping to do this tree as well.

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

How big of a tree are you talking about ? You really need to post pictures. Unless the tree is really big most tree ring edges line up with the tree canopy's drip line. An undersized tree ring looks worse than funny. Don't worry about those roots unless they are massive.

3. OP
    OP
    Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

The trunk is maybe 20 inches across.
    The drip edge is maybe 20 to 24 feet across. I thought about going all the way out past the surface roots but I'm not sure it would look good being mulched out that far.

4. OP
    OP
    Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

Maybe I can get some pictures tomorrow.

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

On trees that size your tree ring edge needs to line up with drip line. It will look a lot better than you think if you make a nice edge for it.

hal and hort101 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

Ok great. So should I just ignore the roots and trench in between them?

7. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

What kind of tree is this? I really don't think it would hurt the tree if you were to cut some of the roots that far out. But if you can trench it with out cutting them that would be better for the longevity of the tree.

8. OP
    OP
    Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

I have no idea. I try to get a photo after work.