1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Edger

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by devnuts, Apr 23, 2007.

1. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

Anyone have experience with sears gas powered edgers? Looking at buying a new edger and wondered how the Sears compared?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Electric or gas,don't think it will hold up but thatz your money.

3. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

buy the best you can afford it will pay off in the long run.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If you're talking about the walk-behind Craftsman edgers with the Briggs engines, I bought one for around $300 four or five years ago and I bet it has less than three hours on it.

Do the math to see how much I like it.:nono:

5. jqlawn

jqlawn LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a Craftsman edger that I've had for 11 years and it still keeps chugging along. It has not required anything, but normal maintenance. The ON/OFF switch died 2 years ago, but thats it. It usually cranks on the third or fourth pull which is more than I can say for my Craftsman 32cc trimmer...I HATE THIS TRIMMER! I gonna replace it with a Shindaiwa t242 0r t2510.

The edger has only seen "homeowner" duty, but for some reason I doubt that it'll stand up to the rigors of daily use.

6. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

I can't imagine using ANY walk-behind edger DAILY. I suspect that the gas powered Craftsman would last many years for the responsible owner. I just can't imagine using a walk-behind edger very many hours per year.... I'd invest in a stick edger and, when absolutely needed, rent a walk-behind. Unlike many, I have nothing against Craftsman. I suppose if you're installing invisible dog fencing all day, every day, you might want to upgrade. If you're edging turf a few times each spring, well.... buy a stick edger.