1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

edging mulch beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Eastcoastlawnman, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Eastcoastlawnman

Eastcoastlawnman LawnSite Member

what is the best tool to edge a mulch bed it will be pretty much making a new edge. can i use a stick edger to break down then use a spade or should i use a spade the lengtg is about 160 ft long it goes around the perimeter pf backyard.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

3. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Redefiner followed by a stick edger usually. I used to use a walk behind edger but found it's way quicker the new way.

4. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

I looked at a used Brown last year, and it would cut 3" deep, which was not deep enough for me. Maybe it was that individual machine, but i like going 4" to 5" and use a good all steel spade.

5. oqueoque

Male, from Jersey

Which redefiner do you use. I think others besides Echo make them. And how deep can you go. I like going deep, so that when you weekly edge the bed with a string line trimmer, the mulch does not go flying.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

Yeah, I like a deep edge too so I can have a couple of inches of mulch up to the edge and still have the mulch below the turf, at least in the highly visible areas. Then when you put a clean edge on it really pops. On some of my big lawns where literally nobody ever goes near an area to see it and it's just viewed from a distance I'm not so picky.

oqueoque likes this.
  7. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Stihl.

I would definitely like it to go a little deeper. And it doesn't work well in wet/clay soils.

Overall still the best way I've found so far.

oqueoque likes this.
  8. oqueoque

Male, from Jersey

I want one of these,if I had enough work.

9. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Mt. Pleasant Ia.

That would be sweet.
    VO

10. Turf Kare

Turf Kare LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about using the Redefiner to make new beds also?