Edging/mulching

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Kwik10z, May 3, 2019.

1. Kwik10z

Kwik10z LawnSite Member

I got a call to give an estimate to edge and mulch a large residential property.

After measuring, it came to 945 linear feet of edging and 14 yards of mulch.

I quoted roughly $1800 (before tax) to do the job. I personally feel I am cheaper than most contractorsin my area, but I am somewhat new to the estimating process. The Customer said it was too high of a price, so I was curious as to what everyone would have charged to do this job?

The terrain is pretty flat so wheeling the mulch isn't much of an issue.

Thanks

2. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Member

If you were using the col met metal edging ( let’s say retail from Lowe’s) your at $1064 just for the edging never mind the mulch or labor to pick up and install!

Obviously the plastic edging is cheaper and is just that, cheap!

To me, that’s too low, but not sure when you say edging, what your doing!

weeze likes this.
  3. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I think when the OP said edging he meant using an edger to turn the dirt over on the edge of a bed. Not a process I am familiar with but it is more common in the south and is used instead of plastic or metal edging. if thats the case 950 feet is quite a bit of it. I think your pricing is pretty good. Next time someone tells you your pricing is high ask them what then seems like a fair price. If they come back at $1200 for your $1800 bid then your just to far apart. Even if you negotiate to $1500 or $1600 keep in mind that they still might think its a $1200 job and might find a reason to not pay you in full. It has happened to me more than once.

Cam15 and Jeff@diyokc like this.
  4. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

I think he means trench edging like this. In my opinion that number seems super low. But he hasnt provided any further details of the job 20190424_172245.jpg 20190424_172236.jpg

5. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Member

Lot of manual labor on that!

weeze likes this.
  6. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Nah machines have taken over

7. OP
    OP
    Kwik10z

Kwik10z LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. When I said edging, I am referring to bed edge redefining. No plastic or stone borders, just giving a nice crisp grass/mulch transition, like the pictures mudly posted.

I should haven mentioned the customer is a doctor, so going in, I knew they were going to be stingy, lol

Jeff@diyokc likes this.
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Too high doesn’t mean the price was wrong

Too high means the customer doesn’t want to pay that much.

I don’t want to pay $23,000 for a 2019 Harley sportglide.
    It doesn’t mean that’s the wrong price.
    It means it’s more than I’m willing to pay and I’ll keep riding my fat bob.

Don’t read into customer comments too much.

Jeramie R., Cam15 and Jeff@diyokc like this.
  9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

What’s referred to as a shovel cut edge isn’t nearly as hard as people think it is
    It can also be done with a weed whacker/stick edger as long as it hasn’t been let go too long,

14 yards of mulch , plus edging and prep... would have been spot on at $1800 in my book

Unless there were horrendously neglected beds.

Jeff@diyokc likes this.
  10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i don't like edges like that even though it looks good. seems like it just makes for more maintenance since they have to be trimmed/edged every time you mow the yard. the common thing here is a stone border or metal edging. then you just use the trimmer to go around them quickly instead of having to hold the trimmer upside down vertically trying to trim the edge and throwing the mulch or whatever around with the trimmer line or edger blade.

as far as plastic edging i don't even know why they make that stuff. it will crack and break within a year. i will never install that for anyone. it's metal or stone/pavers/bricks. that's the only choices.

Mow-Daddy.com and Jeff@diyokc like this.