1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Edging properly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Jan 20, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a stick edger attachment. My question is: Is there aright or wrong way to edge? I mean should the wheel be on the concrete when you edge or does it really matter? Or should you keep the blade facing the concrete edge? I hope this makes sense.Thanks for any help.

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

wheel needs to be on concrete.....would be very difficult to edge correctly with wheel on grass.

3. TJLC

Thanks, LoneStarLawn.

4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We take the wheel off of our stick edgers. We can go faster and do just as good a job. If you do decide to keep the wheel on it needs to be on the concrete

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

DO NOT use your edger by pulling it backwards as this will wear out the gears inside.

Always walk in a forward direction with the wheel on the hard surface/curbing.

I would not advise removing the wheel as this should put extra uneeded wear on the unit.

Just my .02
    Kris

6. TJLC

Again, thanks to all who responded.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

You will find that an edger will ditch if you
    don t set it properly.It doesn t look asgood as a
    clean grooved line.My preference

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I do find, also, that if you keep the edger somewhat angled ever so slightly so that the front of the blade cuts inward toward the curb, it seems to get a cleaner easier cut as well.