Ego battery powered equipment

Cardinal Lawn

LawnSite Member
I have the ego hedge trimmer and 530 cfm blower both with the 2.5 A hr batteries. I have thought about the stringline trimmer but doing 18-20 yards a day I'd probably need 3-4 batteries just for the trimmer. Is anyone using battery equipment at that level?

DMT29

LawnSite Platinum Member
I have the ego 580 blower with the 5 Ah. I use it for fertilizer cleanup mostly. I will get a complete day out of it. I will also use it as a change of pace during the summer months when cleanup is a bit easier.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
I've been running the (now discontinued) DeWalt 40V Max stuff for 4 or 5 years now.
I don't do nearly as many lawns - between 8 and 12 - but I never need more than 2 batteries to get through a day - sometimes only 1.
There's no such thing as a set number of minutes of run time - it varies widely based on run time, how much throttle, what type of resistance/grass you are cutting.

Speaking for my DeWalt stuff, the string trimmer gets decent battery life, while the handheld blower sucks them up FAST.

OP
C

Cardinal Lawn

LawnSite Member
I have the ego 580 blower with the 5 Ah. I use it for fertilizer cleanup mostly. I will get a complete day out of it. I will also use it as a change of pace during the summer months when cleanup is a bit easier.
I use the blower for fertilizer clean up also and love it! No pulling and putting on a heavy backpack blower!

DMT29

LawnSite Platinum Member
I use the blower for fertilizer clean up also and love it! No pulling and putting on a heavy backpack blower!
Exact reason I got it. Not having to carry around a cumbersome backpack just to blow off fertilizer. Very handy blower. Would love to try their trimmers some day but I'm hesitant on dropping the money and being disappointed.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Exact reason I got it. Not having to carry around a cumbersome backpack just to blow off fertilizer. Very handy blower. Would love to try their trimmers some day but I'm hesitant on dropping the money and being disappointed.
If you need to routinely trim tall grass, or "mow" overgrown stuff with a trimmer, you will be surprised by what they can do, but also be disappointed if you expect "commercial gas trimmer power".

If you are only trimming "normal" stuff - weekly/biweekly maintained properties, you won't be disappointed. They are more than capable of handling it.

Now, if you're a "guards off/3 feet of string" kind of guy - yeah, don't even bother.
LOL

DMT29

LawnSite Platinum Member
.105 too big? Guard or no guard...

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
I just came home from Home Depot with a Ryobi 40V brushless string trimmer with the carbon fiber shaft. The carbon was an extra $30 ($229 vs $199 for steel shaft), and might be a few ounces lighter, but since I bought this for my wife, who won't touch the gas equipment, it seemed worth the difference.

So far, I've determined that yeah, it cuts grass. On a note more interesting to me, somewhere in the back of my head, I remembered that Ryobi Expand-It attachments work on Stihl Kombi equipment, so I decided to try the opposite. It turns out that if I remove the plastic sleeve from the Kombi attachment shaft end, I can get it to engage in the Ryobi tool.

And with that, I tried out my pole pruner on battery power. Ok, that was pretty cool, and is a nice addition to my arsenal. I did have it shutdown once when I tried hogging in the cut (probably due to battery overload safety), but so long as I let the chain do the work, it worked surprisingly well.

Top Forums