Electric Clutc will not Engage

statusup

LawnSite Member
I have a 36 inch Scag walk behind mower. The Electric Clutch will not Engage. I checked the Electrical Clutch with 12 volts DC, it Engages. I checked the Voltage coming out of the charging coil. It was 28-30 Volts DC. Soon as I plugged in the Electric Clutch, I lost the Voltage from the Charging Coil. The Electric Clutch did not engage. This Mower does not have a battery, it is a pull start Mower. Kawasaki FH451V 15 HP 36 inch Scag model SWZ 36A-15KA. Thank you.

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
I checked the Voltage coming out of the charging coil. It was 28-30 Volts DC

When you say "charging coil" are you referring to the stator under the flywheel ?

Need the serial number off your machine as well......

OP
S

statusup

LawnSite Member
This is on the Motor Code FH451V-AS09 and E/NO FH451VA6937. The Serial number on the 36 inch Scag walk behind is 7370463. In the Kawasaki book, they call it a Charging Coil, but it might be a stator. it was underneath the flywheel. When I took the flywheel off, it was full of fine dust. I used an air hose and blew it down. I also wiped the Magnets with clean cloth. Thank you.

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
OK,

If your getting proper voltage from the "charge coil"/stator test your PTO switch and harness, Do that with engine off and at the PTO clutch plug connector using ohms scale. Also make sure one of the two wires shows a closed ground circuit.

If the stator is working and the PTO switch and harness test good the only thing left is the big black condenser the stator plugs into, I don't know of a test for that......

OP
S

statusup

LawnSite Member
Where is the big black condenser the stator plugs into on the mower? I have not seen anything like it. I have a small Pigtail that plugs into the stator and the wiring harness. It has Two wires.That all i see.Thank you

pugs

LawnSite Gold Member
Where is the big black condenser the stator plugs into on the mower? I have not seen anything like it. I have a small Pigtail that plugs into the stator and the wiring harness. It has Two wires.That all i see.Thank you

I dont think you would have that. I believe Restrorob might be thinking about the old system from the FB460V and FC420V engines.

You have 2 wires, one is for the power from the coil under the flywheel. The other is for the magneto. What you can do is disconnected the wire for the coil. Hook a 12 volt battery positive up to the wire going into the machine harness that is normally hooked to the charge coil on the engine. Then hook the negative to the engine block. This will eliminate the coil and allow you to test all your switches and clutch. See if the machine works like this. If it does, you have a bad coil. If it doesnt the problem is in the wiring, switches, clutch itself.

When you say the power goes away, have you tested up stream of the clutch for power?

I have seen what you are talking about when there was a bad wire somewhere. Sometimes right on the coil barely making connection. You will have voltage until you try to run any load and then its gone.

OP
S

statusup

LawnSite Member
I put 12v to the start of the positive up to the harness pulled the pto & the clutch engaged.You hit the nail on the head.I feel that i should have done that & known that before.Thank you ,i think i was over thinking it.It has to be the coil bad under a load. I thank you again for your post reply.

pugs

LawnSite Gold Member
I put 12v to the start of the positive up to the harness pulled the pto & the clutch engaged.You hit the nail on the head.I feel that i should have done that & known that before.Thank you ,i think i was over thinking it.It has to be the coil bad under a load. I thank you again for your post reply.

When you get the coil/stator out tug on the wire everywhere. I bet somewhere its very week and just pulls off in your hand.

pugs

LawnSite Gold Member
THANK YOU i am looking for the part 59031-7014 or59031-7001 .When i get it i will post back thank you.

I think you want 59031-7002. I have one in stock, not that it helps you :(

I think the ones you posted are for normal battery charging systems with a rectifier/regulator. You want the clutch coil for use without a battery.

Top Forums