1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electric clutch rebuild kit?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Honeoye, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Honeoye

Honeoye LawnSite Member

I have been changing the electric clutch unit. They average around 225 dollars for exmark. Do they make a rebuild kit for these clutches or have they in the past? I really do not see why they don't. There's nothing that cant be replaced with minimal difficulty.If they do,where do find the kits?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry no kits that I know of. The most you may be able to replace and only on some are the bearings, No electrical parts.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you can post the exmark or warner number and i'll see what the clutch costs. but 225 is not bad. especially from a dealer.

4. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

You can replace the bearings, and you can replace the clutch coil. You must look into the aftermarket suppliers for the coil. Some have a manufacturers number that you can cross reference. Most require you to search and match the part. You can find high speed bearings for $15-40 per clutch and the coil for $5-75. If you replace many of the same or similar clutch-I advise that you look into this for $ in the bank. Keep a reference of the parts that fit which clutch, with some measurements.

I did this for years and have a reference, somewhere.

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Id just replace the thing with a new 1. A clutch takes a beating. Like rob said, Ive never seen a rebuild kit for 1 either.

6. Honeoye

Honeoye LawnSite Member

I have been replacing them with new. I was just wondering if they do make replacement parts for them.... H

7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

post the numbers off of the clutch

8. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

well--ive done bearings in mine more than once--and costs MUCH less than a new one--just set clearance at 10-15 thos--thru the side slots--and as one said--the coil looks like the same one thats used on certain old ford applications--lucforce--try and find the old referance info--would be well used---

9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive put 3 on my Z... Only 1 the bearing has went out on it. The others the clutch itself went out. Amazing how something near all the heat lasts longer then deck pulleys. I cant keep a idler pulley on for more than a few months.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering if the bearing isn't the main reason these clutches fail. One I took out had the retaining tab on the bearing crack and next thing I knew I had a burned up coil. I guess if you checked these things every couple years and/or put in new bearing as preventive maintenance it might last a long time.