Electric Deck Lift Actuator

1curbman

LawnSite Member
Anybody know if a Electric lift Actuator on Bad Boy Lightning can be repaired?Got her out of the shed to mow,was set at 3" would not go up or down. Just want's to make a clicking sound. It has 160 Hrs, on it. This Bad Boy is a money pit. I think Bad Boy's not going to step up and say they have problems with them. problems sense new, belt kept coming off, fuel tank had leak,deck Idler replaced.All under 25 hrs.Warranty cover it. Still dies for some unknown reason, Famous clumping under deck. when I bought it I wanted foot assist lift, they told me I would't like it.But they told me they never sold one at there dealer in KS.I'ts kind of funny now,most all the new Bad Boy's Electric is a option,and the new hevy-duty spindles,that don't have the star braces around them,like mine.Mow with ATTITUDE! LOL Thanks curbman:confused:

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Block the deck where it is now then remove the bolt holding the actuator shaft to the deck lift pivot bracket, If the actuator works check the deck lift pivot points/linkage for binding and lube.....

OP

1curbman

LawnSite Member
I took your advice took the front bolt loose. Got 2008 Bad Boy Manual out,and foud a part that was not used they had 1 washer on it it's uses 1/2"x 3 hex bolt with 1/2'x1/2' collar spacer.when I took it appart you could see that it had a gap between the Actuator and lift bar.Made a spacer for it and lube every thing up. I called Bad Boy about it , and said what you want us to do about it.I wont buy any thing that's says Bad Boy on it. Thanks curbman

Actuator.jpg

kb9nvh

LawnSite Senior Member
I know this is an old thread but I was able to repair my actuator on a 2008 lightning. Turns out, as everyone says, using a hose to clean your mower is a bad idea, well the actuator is not nearly as watertight as it looks. The entire thing inside the gearbox and the treaded jack dome had water damage and corrosion. The main issue when your actuator starts to click and wont move from a position is that threaded jack portion is stuck on the threads. Removing the dome protecting the shaft will expose the parts that need to be cleaned. I removed my entire actuator and opened the gearbox as well and it was contaminated with water too. A good cleaning and greasing and now it works as good as new. I'll probably still use a hose but will avoid hitting the actuator in the future.

rickystar

LawnSite Member
My 2012 Bad Boy 60" suddenly today got the "deck wont move" syndrome. All I got was the ratcheting noise when I tried to lower the deck from full up. Here is what fixed it. Tools : two 3/4 inch wrenches
Procedure: 1.) Raise seat
2.) Back the actuator 1/2" prevailing torque nut off 1/16 of a turn.
Your done.

The nut had tightened itself which basically locks up the deck because the actuator rod could not rotate relative to the lever it is attached to!!

Yaupon Farmer

LawnSite Member
Links to shots of the actuator on my badboy lightning Z (2008 model).
Looks like using the hose to clean the deck is bad. haha

https://plus.google.com/photos/1145...ms/6047248910522462897?authkey=CLi5pqLHh7DGeA

View attachment 296105
I had the stuck actuator on my 2010 lightening also. I took the assembly off and took it to my small engine mechanic who broke it open, turned the shaft a couple of times , lubed it with never sieze and charged me $25.00. I was anticipating a new actuator so I am a happy camper. I'm not a wrench by any stretch but after seeing it done I can do it next time if there is a next time with never sieze.

kb9nvh

LawnSite Senior Member
I took pictures too....the link still looks like its good.

Yaupon Farmer

LawnSite Member
Mine looked like it just lacked adequate lubrication, however it had 7 years of service at that point. After my tech at B&J Small Engines in Montgomery lubed it I doubt he could have hammered more atntin-sieze into the housing. Wish I had taken pictures at the shop.

R Lawrence

LawnSite Member
cleaned the actuator though it did not need it. Still had same problem. Found out voltage was collapsing on lower. Decided it was the switch. I'm thinking everything I've read online real problem is likely the switch, as it gets dirty and shorts out. Mine just would not carry the current. These cheap switches fail with high resistance eventually and need to be replaced. i'll voltage was on the switch and nothing left for the actuator to operate.