Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you guys are in areas where they are trying to get rid of gas blowers. They started fining landscapers in my area for gas blowers, and nothing else. The rule is in effect from May-September. After that, go nuts. They say it's for global warming or whatever, but it's obviously because of the noise for summer vacationers. Meanwhile go ahead and run your whackers, chainsaws, 48 inch mowers, stump grinders etc... It is the biggest sham. Not to mention, summertime is the season where you use the blowers for max 2 minutes on a property while mowing.

Anyway, I wish I could use electric equipment, but the technology is just not there. A low end gas blower is so much more efficient than the commercial electric blowers. I purchased one from STIHL and it was almost 1000 dollars. The dealer started laughing when I asked him how long the 350 dollar battery lasts at full blast. He told me 15 minutes. I thought he was joking. I would need to have like 3 or 4 batteries and chargers and a ton of charging time. I also read the batteries burn out within 2 years. They're also uncomfortable as hell to hold.

I'm just wondering what everyone's sentiment is about this new bs movement to get rid of gas equipment. It's fine for a homeowner, but s a commercial landscaper, I would have to charge another 30 percent per mow during a time where costs are insane. Forget cleanup prices! My Magnum Blower is an absolute beast and is like 2 blowers working side by side. I feel the push for electric is just nearsighted and pointless. All it does is put more pressure on blue collar workers and small businesses.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Sounds like a bga200 blower and ap300s battery? I think it's optimized to fit on the waist harness and then you steer it side to side with the little nub handle. Don't feel bad the newer bga300 uses an AR backpack battery, prob around $1500 for that battery alone and gives you an hour runtime at max power.

There's a new AP format battery coming out the ap500s uses pouch type lithium cells has a greater lifecycle in terms of full charge cycles before performance drops off versus standard lithium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you cleaning up that takes 2 minutes with a backpak and can't be done with a battery blower?
It takes 2 minutes (maybe a bit of an exaggeration) because I'm using the Magnum. Most of the properties near me are surrounded by woods, so there's a lot of vines, weeds, sticks and such that get blown off the lawn and into the woods from where I whacked the perimeters. Even my new mid range Stihl gas blower is noticeably less powerful and takes more time. Yea there are smaller properties with just a quick walkway blow, but most are in the first category.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to Lawnsite. What was your other post about ?
I messed up the pictures. It was just a clearing, lawn install for a small area, full lawn treatment for established area that was horrendous, and redoing the beds. I was saying that was just a solo operation using just a pickup truck. I don't know why the pictures didn't load right.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You could use a push mower to throw debris in to the wood line.
Still extra piece of equipment.

Back in the day before blowers, we used mowers to blow the walkway and driveway off.

If you had a snapper with wings that bolted on the blades it would move a lot of air.

Of all the electric hand held stuff blowers use the most battery power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could use a push mower to throw debris in to the wood line.
Still extra piece of equipment.

Back in the day before blowers, we used mowers to blow the walkway and driveway off.

If you had a snapper with wings that bolted on the blades it would move a lot of air.

Of all the electric hand held stuff blowers use the most battery power.
Interesting that you used mowers to blow! And yea, they talk about using less fossil fuels and pollution. Funny how that problem seems to disappear during the cleanup season! 😆 Sure. I'm absolutely fine with using less gas! The thing is, with the lower power, you get longer use of the machine. This turns into using more batteries (which are apparently terrible for the environment and insanely expensive). So then you buy more batteries and chargers. You plug them into your wall and they are charged BY FOSSIL FUELS! 😂 I haven't done the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up using more gas than gas powered. Electric is just gas powered, with a middle man haha. I wish I didn't need to wear earplugs all day! lol

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
What battery blower are you using that can clean up as fast as a gas backpack blower?
If it was literally 2 minutes it shouldn't take much longer with a battery blower. I agree with the op in this case vines and sticks in grass are not the job for a battery blower. They don't have the air velocity to move larger junk in lawns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depends what you’re cleaning up? Blowing grass off a driveway? Grab and go ego any day. Leaves from 20 maples and oaks? Backpack
Back pack battery is like a thousand dollars with 4 times the amount of life. So Stihl model would be an hour of max blow for fallen leaf clean up. So to operate, I would need at least 2 packs and a lot of extra time. And then let my gas powered investments rot away in my garage? Meanwhile my BR800 Magnum side pull, is rated for 240mph and would do the job in half the time, no question. This is just a guess, but I think the gas powered is more fuel efficient after you factor in the extra time for the job, plus the daily charging of 2 packs (charged by fossil fuels). I just can't see a way that it's practical for commercial use.

Hopefully in less than a decade.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Electric blowers are equally loud and arguably more annoying with the high pitch whine. And then they take way longer to get the job done so you have to hear it longer. I’m not sure how anyone thinks electric blowers are helping anything.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Back pack battery is like a thousand dollars with 4 times the amount of life. So Stihl model would be an hour of max blow for fallen leaf clean up. So to operate, I would need at least 2 packs and a lot of extra time. And then let my gas powered investments rot away in my garage? Meanwhile my BR800 Magnum side pull, is rated for 240mph and would do the job in half the time, no question. This is just a guess, but I think the gas powered is more fuel efficient after you factor in the extra time for the job, plus the daily charging of 2 packs (charged by fossil fuels). I just can't see a way that it's practical for commercial use.

Hopefully in less than a decade.
I wasn’t inferring someone should get a backpack battery set up. Big jobs, backpack gas are the way to go. My response was about when it would be quicker. Pretty much most maintenance related jobs from June to late October around here would leave a backpack on the truck.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Electric blowers are equally loud and arguably more annoying with the high pitch whine. And then they take way longer to get the job done so you have to hear it longer. I’m not sure how anyone thinks electric blowers are helping anything.
I can't say for every battery blower but the 3 I've used are all far quieter (65db or less) than most gas blowers. My current ego is so quiet I don't even use hearing protection unless someone else in the neighborhood is using gas blowers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts