1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Hand Pruners - expensive, but worth every dime !!

Discussion in 'Tree Care Equipment' started by mdvaden, Feb 24, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I will use the tool mostly for fruit trees and certain other things. But the huge arbor I shared a fraction of in the image above is something where the electric pruner has an extra advantage. I got on top and needed to maintain safe position and balance. That meant reaching for certain cuts where I couldn't hand hold and cut with Felco 2's in a way that allows all my hand strength. But with the electric tool, if I can manage to get the blade in a decent cutting position, as long as the trigger can be squeezed, 100% of its power is still available for the cut.

This image is a drop in the bucket, merely using Stihl extended shears to drop some mass on the skirt. 90% of the pruning was done from the top side. Google' Earth's ruler and scale shows the entire arbor to be 370 feet long. I was surprised to learn that it's all 4 x Port Orford cedar.

Ennis_22_2000.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    hort101 likes this.
  2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

What a beautiful arbor and wisteriaThumbs UpThumbs Up

Must be incredible when its in bloom:D
    yes lots of woody stems to cut and deadwooding :weightlifter:

work that needs handpruning not shearing or loppers.

3. EricC

EricC LawnSite Member

I work on people daily with everything from full thickness rotator tears to cubital tunnel syndrome and your run of the mill pulled muscles. Even your sciatic nerve patients from ruptured discs to entrapment as it passes thru the belly of the piriformis causing sciatic type conditions. This stuff isn't new to me.

It might not be a hand pruner that wears them out. maybe it's a diabetic neuropathy. Maybe it's RA. Maybe is a reaction to a medication after an aortic valve transplant. Weird things in life happen and sometimes things that don't wear out one person will another after 30 years because they broke their wrist when they were 6 and altered the biomechanics of their hand and wrist.

I've seen the human body react in so many different ways to the same stresses, if this helps reduce the wear and tear or lengthens one's career, good for them.

Mow-Daddy.com and rlitman like this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

To be successful a product needs to appeal to masses. Especially when that product is expensive.
    You need to show case how/why the product is worth the money , not just say it is.

Why are most people going to buy it? What does it do for them?

Display to them why they want to pay a lot of money to wear a battery pack instead of just using hand pruners?

If you only sell 2 or 3 or 10 units to the special needs crowd that might be aware of them and can afford them, what does that mean for your product? How long will it be around, can you continue to sell a product without a sufficient customer base?

Focus on what is going to sell units, show people why they need this... not “your hand might get tired” that shows you don’t know or understand the bulk of your target customer base of their daily work very well.
    If you do that, they will mentally dismiss your product because it’s not aimed at them.

This is why you see products or businesses disappear, they failed to establish or maintain a customer base.

5. EricC

EricC LawnSite Member

most people aren't. Most people don't need it. I have no idea what it's like in the pruning business. Much of it's specialized, it's not going to be sold at The Home Depot for homeowners.

hort101 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like mythology.

For example, this is one of the best laser range finders ever made, originally in the range of $3000. Masses don't need it and masses don't buy it. Only people who need the best of the best for measuring trees and forest. It was a very successful product alongside other successful products.

maple_HH_1_600.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  7. P.L.

P.L. LawnSite Member
    from USA

I have two sets off these pruners one very similar to the one posted and one cordless with a lithium ion battery. Both are hands down better, easier, faster and more efficient than hand pruning. The cordless are for obvious reasons my go to. They cut much larger branches than traditions hand pruners and make cleaner faster cuts. I paid around $500 for each which in this industry is a minor expense compared to all the other equipment I have. Not only do I take large pruning jobs I normally would not the small ones are much more enjoyable and quicker.