electric mowers vs robotic mowers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by whammer33024, Mar 14, 2019.

1. whammer33024

whammer33024 LawnSite Senior Member

just a topic of conversation. i'm not making plans to make any changes yet.

about 5 years ago we started hearing all the rage that electric mowers were the future of the industry. now we're hearing that robotic mowers are the future. just curious where everyone sees it going in the next 5-10 years.

will electric get skipped over by robots? will robots be the residential and electric be more for commercial? or will nothing really happen and we keep using our gas powered equipment?

anyone actively looking into changing their business model?

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I don’t think any one type will “take over” if you will. I’m sure as the technology gets better robots and electric will have their place, might even actually compete with gas but I see several other variables holding back robots and electric.

Manufacturing batteries isn’t all that much better than refining oil. Each have their own downfalls concerning the environment.

Robots tho, will probably find their way into a larger market. I know of a few companies that have routes set up using robots. It’s crazy how it works. If I lived in a metropolis, that’s what I’d do. 1 guy has 20 houses on 1 street. 1 week the bots are on one side(10 bots). Every 3-4 days the guy comes out and moves them to the other side and trims the properties.

I also know dealers who sell them to resi accts and then puts them on a maintenance plan for the machine at a fixed monthly price. Pretty slick. As a matter of fact my dealer has started to dabble in this so I pitched a plan with him. I’ll install them for him for $1 per sq ft and he still gets the sale and maintenance. Haven’t had any want the trimming done yet but at least I get something from a customer that isn’t looking for a lawn service.

In my opinion this is how we’ll have to adapt. Either buy the robots and rent them to customers or make a deal with your dealer to install them and maybe get the trimming/edging.

* I meant $1 per linear ft.

zlandman likes this.
  3. whammer33024

whammer33024 LawnSite Senior Member

that's kind of what i'm considering figuring out myself. how to evolve the business to cater to people that would like the idea of robotic mowers.

this thread isn't getting as much action as i expected, lol

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

what do you mean robotic vs electric? aren't robotic mowers electric?

wbw likes this.
  5. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Member

What company is putting the robots on one side of the street and moving them over? This is in Neosho?

Ultimately, I think the little guy (us) will get squeezed out. Larger companies can buy more units and crush any price model we would be able to come up with, customer service won't matter much since robots cut the same for little companies as they do big companies. Either get yards robots can't do, or find something else to do.

sehitchman and zlandman like this.
  6. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Ummm...autonomous versus user controlled battery powered...:hammerhead::cool2:

UpNorthMowing likes this.
  7. Matthews Lawn Care

No not in Neosho, Springfield.

8. lawndude28

What company?

9. lawndude28

zlandman likes this.
  10. Matthews Lawn Care

Out of respect for his privacy, I’m not going to throw his name out on a public forum to people I don’t know.

zlandman and hort101 like this.