Electric trucks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by hackitdown, Sep 3, 2019.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

There is news that Ford will be selling an electric pickup in 2022. Tesla also claims to have one on the way.

An electric pickup presents an interesting business decision. Tesla cars are getting upwards of 100 MPGe. It seems like most of us get between 12mpg and 18mpg on our gas or diesel pickups (I get 14 around town, and 17 on the highway, Ram 6.4). If these electric pickups are as efficient as electric cars, they may get 60 MPGe, saving 75% on truck fuel. If you spend $2,800 per year on gas for a pickup (1,000 gallons), electric may save you $2100 per year. Over a 10 year lifespan of a pickup, $21,000 saved. Also, no oil changes, air filters, plugs, etc.

Towing heavy loads is a variable that needs to be tested.

Has anyone considered this option?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

What's the purchase price? Will it be a work truck or a Dr's tricked out truck to pull his 2 jet skis.

3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Pulling a trailer, these trucks have no range at all. literally, maybe one day, then you're charging again.

IT's also not an option because the trucks will be very very expensive, upwards of 100,000. If your' charging at home you can figure out how much your power bill goes up from having to fully charge the thing every single day.

Tesla's were very interesting to me until i realized the price tag was factoring in a government credit, which used to be 7500 and is now 1850 or something along those lines. It also factors in gas savings. So the MSRP on a tesla is not exactly the MSRP on a tesla. A basic model S will cost 45k out the door.

4. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

for now.

I can see them being a part of large fleets with a rotation of vehicles. In transfer type yards moving things around, work all day there, charge all night there. They're getting closer, but for general use there are still very big hurdles to cross in terms of infrastructure. While many of these vehicles can drive plenty of miles in a day for a family, they have no where to charge overnight unless they're back at home. If hotels had legitimate stations, they'd park and continue on the next day just like many do now. Or if they could get 100 miles in an hour charge, it would be nothing for the family to stop to eat and charge and get to where they are going.

That and just having a system to produce and distribute that amount of electricity in the first place, but as businesses and private owners invest more in personal solar, that lessens the load on the existing grid and might be part of the solution. Lots to overcome though.

5. weeze

weeze Banned

eventually nothing else will make any sense but to use electric trucks. when that will be who knows? right now they cost too much to make it practical. right now charging is way cheaper than paying for gas though.

6. OP
    OP
    hackitdown

Tesla is claiming a starting price of $50k or so. Maybe Ford will be similar. You can estimate the cost of electricity based on the MPGe ratings (MPG equivalent cost), although towing MPGe is a big unknown.

Tesla is claiming a 300 to 500 mile range on the truck. Again, towing will have an unknown impact on range. I would assume that recharging would be overnight at home/shop on a lawn service truck. Around here, there are loads of charging points at highway rest stops, malls, gas stations, office buildings, etc. There are Tesla Superchargers around where you can charge to 50% in 20 minutes, but they are harder to find, and they charge for it.

They are supposed to have gobs of power, and Tesla's will be AWD. For me, a lack of plowing capability will probably rule them out for now.

I would have to guess that they will be set up as status symbol trucks at first, then maybe work trucks will come out.

7. weeze

weeze Banned

you can charge at home with an adapter plugged into your dryer outlet. you don't need a fancy charging station. those are just faster. it may take a few hours at those but you can charge at home overnight for 8-10hrs while you sleep.

8. OP
    OP
    hackitdown

You can charge on a 120V outlet also, but it is very slow.

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

Factor in what happens if you need to replace a battery pack of some sort? I know that there is no less of an environmental impact from how they mine the materials to build the batteries. So what are we saving here? So our power bill goes up instead of our fuel bill? Well if our power comes from a coal power plant what are we really gaining?

10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully I won’t be in business/retired when it’s mainstream ;)

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.