Electric trucks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by hackitdown, Sep 3, 2019.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Electric will always be favored for torque. There are many reasons it's better than traditional fuels with one big exception, fuel delivery.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Locomotives and mining trucks all use electric motors...as you might notice, weight is not as much of an issue in those applications. They also have diesel generators.

Also, salt is not an issue in either of those applications.

There's a crapload of testing that has to be done before something reliable is available that can pull heavy loads and\or plow snow using strictly a battery.

Like I said, I'm confident saying that we are at least 10 years away from it based on the test I did with the Greenworks mower. It did a terrible job mowing in wet conditions because there is not enough lift on the blades because it will use too much power to spin them. Plenty of torque for moving though.

I'm fully aware of the benefits of electric motors for full torque.

But 10,000ft\lbs in a pickup isn't even realistic...the tires will need replacement every week. Much less in snow or wet conditions. Shoot, I have a hard time not spinning my tires in my '14 Cummins when the pavement is wet and all I did was add a tuner.

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. weeze

weeze Banned

electric isn't as far off as everyone thinks it is. i've been mowing my own yard with a 58v echo electric pushmower for a few years now. it does a great job. it's actually amazing. quiet and never requires any maintenance at all. no oil changes, spark plugs, air filters, gas, etc. etc.

sure it's not gonna work if the grass is 1ft tall and soaking wet. you gotta use your brain a little to make it work. it's the same thing with electric trucks. be prepared beforehand. don't run the battery to 5% and then be like "omg now i have to stop for 2hrs to charge." use your brain and charge when it's at like 50%. that way it never gets too low. then it only takes 30min to charge fully. you could easily do that while you eat lunch or whatever.

sure it's not perfect yet but neither are gas and diesel engines and they've been around for hundreds of years. in time electric will take over. it's just more efficient and easier to deal with. basically maintenance free. sure you may replace the battery every 10-15 years but people replace transmissions that often already.

people never like change. it's new. it takes time for people to adjust. once that happens they wonder how we ever lived without it.

hort101 likes this.
  4. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

Zero motorcycles have won the Pikes Peak climb a couple of times.

Pretty bitchin bikes. Very torquey.

I think I'd miss going through the gears, though. That's half the fun.

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Is a 2 saddle tanks carrying 50 gallons each or a battery with similar energy ( maybe only half as much energy considering the efficiency) lighter?

6. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

You've hit on the 1 thing that has kept it from completely overtaking what we have, energy storage for electric. But those questions weren't just about total weight, it was about needing to use heavier equipment to transfer more torque to the drive wheels and a diesel could provide more, but cut down on load.

Electric uses a completely different design to move wheels and is far more efficient, but the limiting factor has been and continues to be batteries and weight. Like said before, the tech isn't quite there yet, but this line came from someone questioning electric motors having more torque than diesel.

7. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

actually, there really isn't. It is 99% related to battery power, so the only testing is within the power source to find a way to pack more power and drive time into the batteries. Far as reliability, battery and electric have that down without further needed research.

Then why did you ask for proof when a very common and pretty well known fact was stated about how electric can provide much more torque apples to apples vs gas/diesel?

It is realistic, and you will see it with the electric trucks just like you see it with the new cummins.

Far as spinning tires unavoidably, that is to do with the driveline, not the power or torque made from the engine.
    I agree with most of what you said. Guy questions your torque statement, we provide proof, that is what it was about. Not having torque converters and drive shafts, etc, can provide more torque and more power on electric vehicles. The efficiency is two fold. Batteries must improve in order to make these things viable. It will get there eventually.