Electrical Failure Pump Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Irrigation Pumps & Supplies' started by mitchgo, Jun 4, 2018.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I'm curious what's the proper method for diagnosing an electrical failure for a pump.

I've installed /replaced tons, as well narrowed the issue to the pump. But I've never known the proper technique for a true diagnosis. I watched an electrician once, though I don't remember exactly what he did and I'm not sure I actually believed his answer. I believe he did a simple continuity test between the hot and neutral.

Basically the other day I misdiagnosed and thought the pump was bad. I verified the Relay was good and thought the pump was bad. After replacement I had the same issue- come down find out a ' on / off ' switch downstream of the relay was bad and causing the breaker to flip.

MY curiosity and determination got the best of me to figure it all out. As I totally did an electricians job. Because of this I want to try and implement a policy - a few basic tests to determine that the irrigation system is not the cause and to determine if the pump is bad . Anything else it needs an electrician.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If a switch is UL-listed and rated for the load of the pump motor, it's kind of out-there to be looking at it as a failure point in a short-circuit. You would have to start the process of removing the old pump anyway, before testing the switch on a standalone basis.

3. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully this helps:
    http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/com...s-drives-pumps-compressors/single-phasemotors

In general, first step is check for proper voltage right at the pump or if symptoms are a short circuit somewhere, check each winding at the pump for shorts to the other windings and to ground. Check each winding for some indicated resistance to make sure it’s not open. If no voltage at the pump or no shorts or opens on any of the windings, very likely the pump motor is not the issue.

Traveling Man likes this.
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic