Electrical help needed on Kawasaki 14hp FC420v

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by C4chris70, Mar 16, 2010.

1. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" Toro walk behind that had a 14hp Kohler that blew up. A repair shop replaced the Kohler with a 14 Kawi FC420V. This motor is constantly burning up the wiring harness. It has burned up three harnesses in about 1 years time. I have also replaced the voltage regulator twice. Does this motor put out too much voltage to be used on a Toro, or have the two seperate shops just used the wrong regulators? Please help as I am at my wits end. Thanks!:dizzy:

2. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

Look at this way. It isn't the voltage that kills you it is the amperage. The wiring has too much amperage for the wire size.

3. OP
    OP
    C4chris70

I believe the motor puts out 12 volts that is converted to about 13 amps with the use of the regulator. I am under the impression that the toro should be able to handle 15 amps. I had one Toro shop tell me that that motor should never have been put on this mower, and another Toro shop tell me the motor is fine for this app, thus my confusion.

4. mjschue

mjschue LawnSite Member
    from mn

Have Toyota look at it!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

On the serious side are there any loose grounds. Did they check the amp draw running? Blades on, etc.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

do some research on the 2 engines, sounds like the KAW is over amping the wireing
    I would NOT be surprised if there is an inheart switch that's causing the issue

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Even if you don't have a battery the charging system will still not put out too much power. The charging system reacts to need. In other words, it doesn't make power until you need it.

My first question is where did you get the wiring harness? Can you provide me with the year, model and serial number of your TORO? I just need the info on the mower, not the engine.

The correct regulator is Kawasaki part number 21066-2056 if it is a 13, 15 or 17 amp charging system.

The 3 amp system uses a Kawasaki part number 21066-2071.

7. Richard Martin

Here are the tests for the charging system to see if it is malfunctioning. These are directly from the Kawasaki service manual for the FC420V engine. You will need a volt/ohm meter to conduct these tests.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  8. Richard Martin

Here's the 15 amp stator test....

IMG.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    C4chris70

Richard, The model # is 30175 Serial # 490584

I am not sure of the year, but the mower is a 37inch recycler. It has a regulator with the markings SH637-12 (62231)

Thanks for your help!

10. Richard Martin

Okay, it's a 1994. That mower never came with a Kawasaki engine. Where did the wiring harness for the Kawasaki engine come from? This is important. Did they just splice the wires into the Kohler wiring harness? Do the safeties work?