Electrical help needed on Kawasaki 14hp FC420v

OP
C4chris70

C4chris70

LawnSite Senior Member
The wiring harness is the same harness used on the Scag 36 with a 14 kawi and an electric clutch. All safety switches work fine. The part that is baffling me is that the harness is burning up (not just melting, but flaming) going into the regulator.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
The wiring harness is the same harness used on the Scag 36 with a 14 kawi and an electric clutch. All safety switches work fine. The part that is baffling me is that the harness is burning up (not just melting, but flaming) going into the regulator.
Let me try to explain why I want to know. I need to look at the harness so I can see what they may have done or where there could be a potential problem. If I had the mower here at my place I could probably fix in an hour or less. Since I don't have it I have to do the next best thing.

If it's a Scag harness did they install all of the Scag relays at the same time?

I'll get back to you tomorrow. I have something to take care of right now or I'd look it up tonight.

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
kohler and kawasaki use different regulater rectifiers. to make this engine swap work ,use the kohler rectifier and connecter. bolt the rectifier to the back or side of the engine,the middle wire (power to harness) goes to mower harness. the 2 stater wies from kaw engine attach to the outer prongs of the rectifier. any melted wiring should be replaced.

rotti1968

LawnSite Member
your stator will only put out what it was wound for. It will never over charge but can under charge.The 2 wires that come off of the stator should be putting out ac voltage in the 26 volt range, at the regulator on the mower side you should have in the 13 to 14 volt dc range. I would make sure that you dont have any shorts anywhere in the system,make sure your clutch is not going south.

rotti1968

LawnSite Member
Does this mower have electric start /battery? the kawasaki charging system on that motor is 13 amps, if there is not a battery and has an electric clutch the engine spec should have been s09 or s14 they include a condenser in the system. The kohler system should have been a 15 amp system. So if there is no battery and you are running the unit and engage the clutch its going to be under amperage if the unit does not have the condenser. This will over heat the wiring and regulators and cause them to burn up.

OP
C4chris70

C4chris70

LawnSite Senior Member
Does this mower have electric start /battery? the kawasaki charging system on that motor is 13 amps, if there is not a battery and has an electric clutch the engine spec should have been s09 or s14 they include a condenser in the system. The kohler system should have been a 15 amp system. So if there is no battery and you are running the unit and engage the clutch its going to be under amperage if the unit does not have the condenser. This will over heat the wiring and regulators and cause them to burn up.
The mower does not have a battery as it is not an electric start. I have known a bad clutch to overheat the wires, but my harness is actually catching fire. I was told by both shops that previously worked on the mower that the clutch was not bad.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
I brought my meter home from my shop and the stator is only putting out about 5 volts. I can't check the regulator because the wires are fried.
I'm concerned that the electrical problem in the mower may have burned up the stator. Give me a few minutes and I'll look over the Scag wiring harness and we'll see if they connected it properly.