Electrical help needed on Kawasaki 14hp FC420v

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
I can't tell much by looking at the Scag harnesses. They have a whole bunch of them for Scag 14 HP belt drive, electric clutch, manual start mowers. Judging from the few I looked at it's really pretty hard to screw it up but I'm sure it could be done. On a side note... Scag has an adapter to use a Kawasaki engine on a Kohler wiring harness but it's too late for that now.

I would start with replacing the stator. What else can you do?

rotti1968

LawnSite Member
Kawasaki min for the stator on that motor is 30v ac if anything less the stator needs to be replaced on the 13 amp style.
the 3 amp stator min spec is 27 v
what is the exact mod# and spec of that engine ?

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
you will need to order part # 12 403 01 kohler rectifier . this is not a regulater, as regulaters are only used with battery ignitions (key start ) Rectier must be attatched to engine block or clean sheet metal to insure a good ground.if its not grounded it wont work . use 1 of the holes in rectifier.

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
the rectifier simply converts ac voltage to dc . the regulater also converts voltage , but it also senses and regulates output to system

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah but the rectifier in a Kawi is built into the regulator. That's why I was wondering why he also needs a Kohler rectifier? He took a Kohler off and put a Kawi in it's place.

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
to make this engine swap work properly, you use the kawasaki stater and the kohler rectifier. there can be no regulater on an engine that does not have a battery. the only thing operated off the stater is the clutch. The kawasaki regulater is looking for a load , in this case the battery,to tell it when to shut down. with no load it pumps max volts into harness , cooking wires, this setup works , I done this setup many times.

rotti1968

LawnSite Member
What's the purpose of the recifier? Is it compatable with the Kawasaki engine?
Im with you on this also, why not just get the correct kawasaki part and hes only getting 5 volts out of his stator so he needs to replace that first , this may have the correct spec for a none battery unit . The stator may have been bad from the start and could be the cause to all of his issues.

rotti1968

LawnSite Member
If your look at this spec sheet for this engine the s09 and s14 spec are made for a unit without battery and includes a clutch. It has a condenser to control the power needed for the clutch. Im sure that if he tells his kawasaki dealer the issue he is having and that he is in need of a new stator they can set him up with the correct a:stator,b:the correct regulator and c: the condensor.
The spec sheet is direct from the kawasaki dealers web site this is the most current info on that engine.
voltage regulator part #21066-2071
stator part#59031-2003
condenser part#21013-2064
may need wiring harness part#26001-2150
hope this helps some

Attachments