• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Electrical help: Voltmeter pegs right when powering pump...

Ted

LawnSite Member
My voltmeter gauge in my '77 Dodge pegs to the right (charge) when I power my E-60 pump (Up, right, left, etc.). Anyone have a quick, easy answer to solve this problem? Does it sound like a grounding problem? I'd appreciate any help...snow is coming Friday night...Thanks.

Ted
Landisburg, PA

GeoffDiamond

LawnSite Bronze Member
It does that with every truck. You are drawing more current from your trucks electrical system. Check the grounds it may help a little.

Geoff

OP
T

Ted

LawnSite Member
Thanks Geoff! I just added a 100 amp alternator a few weeks back which is helping alot to save my battery...I thought maybe I was overlooking something. I appreciate the quick reply!

Ted
Landisburg, PA

FIREMAN

LawnSite Senior Member
Dodge trucks are known for inaccurate voltmeters...it is true that all truck(at least most) with plows show the extra draw but there is something about a corrosion problem on a terminal somewhere..I can't remember but I'll find out and post about it...

OP
T

Ted

LawnSite Member
That's correct Tim. It pegs 'all the way to the right'...Seems like something isn't right but I'm not sure what to do. Using turn signals and lights, etc. draws the needle to the left just a bit as expected but 'powering' the pump (up, left, right) 'pegs' the needle to the right...

Ted
Landisburg, PA

jason2

LawnSite Member
I installed a aftermarket voltmeter in my 75 Dodge. I also have a 100 amp alternator. When I move my plow controls my gauge moves left showing battery voltage dropping. I also have the factory ammeter still hooked up. An ammeter shows if the system is in a state of charging or a state of discharge. A voltmeter shows the voltage level of the battery.

I'm almost embarrassed to post this after my fiasco with wiring a simple two-pole toggle in another post. :)

Rooster

LawnSite Senior Member
Ted,
I have an 84 Dodge. I call a Chrysler rep I know, he check with an engineer, because I had the same problem.

I was told first, because I have an external Volt. reg. make sure the ears on the plug are secure.

Everything seemed okay, but I unplugged and replugged checked the ears, volt meter works, great.

I also changed batteries to 2 Marine deep cycle 12v, with 114 amp alt.

Hope this helps, if not let me know, I will call my freind who works for chrysler

OP
T

Ted

LawnSite Member
I've been corrected...Thanks Jason! It's my factory 'ammeter' that is pegging to the right. What is the verdict? Thanks.

Ted

jason2

LawnSite Member
Ted,

My ammeter also shows a charge when I move my plow controls. While my voltmeter shows a drop in voltage. I think it's just that the alternator is putting out due to the battery voltage dropping off, and that's why the ammeter shows a charge instead of a discharge.