electrical question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Apr 5, 2008.

  1. JB926

    JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ
    Messages: 150

    this is a little off topic but wanted to pick your brains. I am having a electric service put in at my shop and have done the work myself and the electric company will run it to a meter. they called me and wanted to know what size load i would be running. I said 100 amp and was wrong and the guy wasent offering much help. What would be my load so this thing could get done already. all I would be running would be about 6 flouesent balasts maybe a compressor, radio outlets tools etc. its only a 300 sq ft work shop. can some one please help me out.
  2. WalkGood

    WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,910

    Standard is at LEAST 200 AMPS service at 240 volts. Commercial service could also be 3-phase (a whole nuther world of machinery).

    Get the 200 AMPS. You might someday want a big compressor , a welder setup, central air conditioning, etc etc. You also might wanna sell the place someday and a full service will be added value.
  3. hoskm01

    hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,690

    Definetly 200, if a low-use shop. If youre going to get crazy, or want to expand eventually, go 400.
  4. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,369

    How big a shop? 200 would be the modern minimum, especially if you go in for welding.
  5. Mike Leary

    Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 23,148

    Ditto on all posts. When I built my shop, I went 200 amp, which seemed
    overkill until, over the years, new circuits were added and I would have
    kicked my self with 100 amp.
  6. WalkGood

    WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,910

    I doubt the electric companies would install a feeder line rated any LESS than 200 AMPS. So at least go 200 amp panel.

Share This Page