Elevated patio question?

CK82

LawnSite Senior Member
This should be a no brainer. When installing any elevated/raised patio its necessary to excavate til you hit subsoils, compact, then add your crushed limestone, compacting in proper lifts?

Would it be okay to add say some 3"-5" breaker (crushed stone, minimal fines) to help with obtaining the elevated height you are looking for? Then obtaining your final height with say your 6" of crushed stone with fines?

Thank you,

Chris

zedosix

LawnSite Silver Member
Would it be okay to add say some 3"-5" breaker (crushed stone, minimal fines) to help with obtaining the elevated height you are looking for? Then obtaining your final height with say your 6" of crushed stone with fines?

Thank you,

Chris
Are you referring to 3" to 5" size stone or 3" to 5" lifts?

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
I'm pretty sure he is saying to fill the majority with 3-5" stones. I would say no, you can not compact them and they wiull leave large air voids between them, the final 6" of crushed you install ontop will sattle into these air voids and you will lose bed.

OP
C

CK82

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes I was referring to 3"-5" stone (breaker). What are the steps/product you guys use for areas that need elevating say at least 1ft. if not 10ft. in height? Do you use 1" clear as suggested add your geo text or similar then add your remaining 6" or so of 3/4" with fines?

What is the difference between clear stone and flowable fill? Aren't they one in the same.

Thank you,

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
What is the difference between clear stone and flowable fill? Aren't they one in the same.

Thank you,
1" "Clear" stone is stone without fines. Around here we call it 1" "Clean". Flowable fill is a low psi concrete (kinda like watered down concrete) that you can pump into the area and it gives you a base of like virgin soil that hasn't been touched.

clipfert

LawnSite Member
Flowable fill is about 90 psi mix with no stone in it. Look into it. Material cost is much higher but you will save on the labor end.

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes I was referring to 3"-5" stone (breaker). What are the steps/product you guys use for areas that need elevating say at least 1ft. if not 10ft. in height? Do you use 1" clear as suggested add your geo text or similar then add your remaining 6" or so of 3/4" with fines?

Thank you,
If it's a minimal difference as in a few inches in sections then I just fill and compact in lofts. Price difference in minor situations isn't enough to justify getting a special load of washed pea gravel.

Now, I wold have a cost threshold though before deciding to use some other fill.

We kind of become the master of raise patios . I love doing them. First we use any fill dirt we have on site. Compact in 2-3 inch lifts. After that we add base rock to finish it out.