Employ for 10 years let go

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Mr Efficiency, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member

This has been a long time coming, I can only be someones sugar daddy for so long( feel bad because the employe has many kids) and I can not run a business having employees who want to run the business the wrong way by not showing up and wanting to work only when they are not drunk because they have a drinking problem.

I'm a softy, I can admit it but it comes to a point where I can't do this anymore and I finally have put my foot down. I said, get another job, sorry you're not working here no longer.

I'm not going to be taking advantage of any longer, they want to come and sue me because they don't show up at work because they're drunks let them try.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Clayton Christensen has written several books that are well worth reading. In one of them he says "Don't do some things even once." After the first time a precedent has been set that is hard to break.

Going forward, set your boundaries, make them known to all employees and follow them to the letter.

This person fired themselves. They just don't want to accept responsibility for their addiction.

3. OP
    OP
    Mr Efficiency

I've tried to help then for so many years but I can only say so much and I only can take so much.

They did fire them selves.

Life goes on

4. OP
    OP
    Mr Efficiency

Pete from GCI Turf had a good video last week, kind of made me think about what was going on when he had to let go of an employee last week. I think it was because of Pete I finally said enough is enough

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

We have a tendency to second guess ourselves. Pete's video gave you the confirmation you needed to move forward. Let's hope it is a wakeup call for the person you let go and they do what is necessary to turn their life around.

6. OP
    OP
    Mr Efficiency

Last Friday my employee came to work stinking of alcohol, I would not let him go out in the field and drive my vehicle he stunk so.much, he was very upset with me. I told him you're drunk oh but he said I,'. fine I'm fine. This week I put them on a short string
    I hope so, I told him he can still call me if he needs advice or if he's going through a tough time, it's okay to call me as friendly support.

I've tried for so many years to help him but I can only help so much, it's like the old saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can not make them drink.

TrainingWheels, Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  7. Mshawn

Mshawn LawnSite Member

You were and enabler. He will never get the message that he has a problem until he hits rock bottom. He needs to be there for his family and he knows that. If you care for the guy cut him loose so he can grow past this and grow up. We all have demons to battle,including me. At one time I was a lot like this guy you let go mine was not alcohol mine was women I would leave a job hanging just to chase a woman I thought was attractive and would not show up when I was suppose to. Caused divorces and loss of business because I was unreliable. Cheating on women I was in love with. It takes a will to change and the only way to get that will is to hit rock bottom.

AlohaMowing, Cam15, Walker56 and 3 others like this.
  8. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I like to think employees have two choices:

You’re doing what I want and I’m paying you
    You’re not doing what I want and I’m not paying you

Can’t ever let it be, you’re doing what you want and I’m paying you.

9. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

me and my wife were in same situation with our employee for last 4 years me and my wife bent over backwards because he was a great worker. He is an alcoholic also and started bringing the issues with his addiction his marriage to work. Lots of drama. He got threw in jail a couple 3 times over last couple years which put me in a huge jam. Finally he just wouldn't listen to me and I was trying to get him straight and help him out but they are the only ones that can change there situation. You can talk till your blue in the face but until they themselves are ready to take it upon themselves to change it its not going to happen. He may be in prison right now I don't have a clue but I sure don't have the stress now.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Folks don’t want to change until the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change.