Employee demanded raise today or he was quitting

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
1630508352352.png

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Good employees don't last long in this industry. In my neck of the woods, a good employee will run you about $25 an hour with full benefits. Even then, you'll be lucky to have him for 6 months.

There's just too much opportunity out there for entry level jobs right now. EVERYONE is hiring. Why would some kid with a decent work ethic and a head on his shoulders waste his time working for me when they're hiring entry level union welders, electricians, HVAC techs etc.

One of my competitors just lost his lead to an apprenticeship to work on elevators. 5 years from now, that kid will be making 6 figures. I doubt he'll miss babysitting idiots while also busting his azz outdoors for less than half the money.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I understand your position…. And point taken. However, I respectfully disagree completely. Ever spend time around private school kids? How about the Home schooled?? They might even be worse than the rest!

Those issues you described with kids are the result of poor parenting. And when they go to college, they’re adults (albeit young adults). If they’re “corrupted” at college, that too is the result of poor parenting. My kid went to the public schools and he’s not like that because his mother and I would be in jail if he tried to be!!

why do parents always get a pass!!?? THEY work so hard at trying to keep their kid away from any sort of failure, so much so, that when he DOES fail, he has no coping skills and can’t deal with it. How many parents are actually HARD on their children these days lol??

Make NO mistake!! Our problem here with kids is PARENTING (or the lack of it).
Most home schooled kids I've known and been around far surpass public education kids in terms of education and behavior.

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Most home schooled kids I've known and been around far surpass public education kids in terms of education and behavior.
I've seen both sides of that coin.

I've met guys that were homeschooled that were pretty normal in behavior, but they also played organized sports, had friends, and interacted a lot with other kids.

I've also met homeschooled guys in college that were socially awkward and almost completely lost in terms of things like dating, confrontation, or boundries from being so isolated from other kids growing up.

One of my good friends was an Officer in the Airforce, and he said they get a lot of homeschooled kids that really struggle in Basic training because they're very awkward private Pile types.

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
When is a good time to give company shirts to employees? I don’t really want to give them away first week, I don’t keep hundreds of these so we have already gone through maybe 30 this year, I finally started asking employees for them back if they quit after a month because all the ones I have now have holes in them.

Top Forums