Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

· Registered
554 Posts
First thing I thought of is he's trying to figure out how to go out on his own.

Someone else on her had that happen to them. Kept an employee on, he/she took pix and notes at various stops, and then left to open her/his own biz (I thought I read something like that here not too long ago)
Yeah, I think most lawn jockeys are at least interested in the possibility of starting their own operation.

· Registered
3,163 Posts
I’d start by asking him what he’s doing, not firing him.
yep! I forgot to add that to my last post. Totally agree.

At my FT job, I'm all about awkward and uncomfortable conversations (not that this particular conversation would be either of those). I just push right through that conversation. Be direct. Eye contact. Logical. Firm. Confident. Go down the rabbit hole a little bit when they start fumbling around. Make that person squirm and defend their comments or actions. Get them to walk it back a bit, and then I might restate in a nice way something like, "Glad we talked and cleared that up. I had to ask because I didn't think you'd say or do something like intentionally." (or whatever the situation calls for).

Someone talks crap about me at work. I address it. Simple as that. I'll make a point of stopping in and I'll ask. I'm not mean. But I am direct. I've learned if people know you're gonna call them on their BS, they stop.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Researching for starting his own business? :unsure: I worked one year for a company in Seattle. I was watching everything! Started my business Jan 1st of the next year.
Any employee could be doing that at any given time. You don’t have to be on a phone to get a general sense of time on a job and jot some notes down at the end of the day.

I worked for a big company mowing solo in college. They gave me a stack of invoices every morning that was the route and a time sheet as a log. I literally knew the cost and time, they weren’t threatened by it.

· Registered
15,877 Posts
also some employees take pride in their work and like to show it off to friends and family, also potentially future employers. They might have a history of being chastised for missing things at other jobs and taken it upon themselves to document before and after pics.
My assisant takes pics and post them on instagram.

· Registered
7,649 Posts
We can speculate as to why or what he does with the vids. That's not the point. The point is you should control your media.

There are way too many people out there that are a few fries short of a happy meal. People who will be "triggered" or "offended" by what you say or do. Or try to use something that you said in a vid or you posted to their advantage.
You have to control your own social media as best as you can......
Show me where "video" was mentioned by the OP.

Once agian, he didn't MEAN "recording VIDEO", he meant "taking notes".

· Registered
64,503 Posts
Let me play devil's advocate here....

Why would any of you allow any one to record anything with out some kind of understanding of what they post to Social Media ?

I have watched very smart people doing stupid stuff on YT,TikTok etc, Place where millions of people can see it. Do you want your business associated with that kind of vid ? Do you want to be trending on social media for the wrong reason ?
Yeah, I agree but that doesn't sound like what's going on here. Besides the fact remains.... All you have to do is talk to your employees to get the real story.

· Registered
64,503 Posts
You have to control your own social media as best as you can......
Agree. You also have to control your staff as best you can. You also have to speak with your team members before speculating to such an extent.

In fact, it would probably be a good idea to have something about this in your employee handbook..... We all have employee handbooks right?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm checking in for a minute. I l still have work to be done.

My thoughts of him recording times is because when we got back into the truck after completion of 2 separate jobs was a screenshot action on his phone. We all know what sound a phone makes when you do that. The first time I didn't pay much attention. But after the second time finishing I began to suspect something going on.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts