Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I am waiting on the week to end. I made my assumptions on the first day noticing. I will update everyone as the week goes on.

I didn't have time to pay attention to the little things today. We have bad weather otw and we're rushing around the rain.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I agree, it’s kind of odd to take screenshots at the beginning and the end of each job, I’d be curious what he’s up to also. I’d still start by asking him next time you hear it.
So this is where my questions run the fine line of personal vs business. It is really not my business what he is screenshotting. But if I notice a correlation of start and finish jobs. Then it is a problem.

That problem is the main reason for this thread... How would you all qpproach this situation?

I will not approach it directly for now. Until, I have heard/seen this happening repeatedly over several days.

· Registered
3,163 Posts
Dude. Just ask. What’s the problem with just asking ? I thought you already noticed a positive correlation between the pix and start and stop times of jobs. Personally, I think it feels like you’re avoiding an uncomfortable conversation by waiting. What are you waiting for? Until you’re POSITIVE he’s up to something? It’s your company! Ask him straight up asap. Might be nothing! Might be something! Open su boca muchacho!!! What are you afraid of? Upsetting him? So what! He’s got YOU bothered enough to start a thread about HIM. Time to speak on it Sir.

· Registered
8,297 Posts
So this is where my questions run the fine line of personal vs business. It is really not my business what he is screenshotting. But if I notice a correlation of start and finish jobs. Then it is a problem.

That problem is the main reason for this thread... How would you all qpproach this situation?

I will not approach it directly for now. Until, I have heard/seen this happening repeatedly over several days.
I'd just fire him tomorrow, he definitely seems like a threat to your business.

· Registered
7,649 Posts

Could you PLEASE explain what YOU think the "problem" is?

You act like it's some sort of espionage, so what exactly do you think he's "up to"?

p.s.
I just took a screen shot of your post. I'm in on it! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
3,163 Posts
So, you wouldn't even have to ask why your employee is taking pictures, because you've asked him to take pictures. It doesn't sound like the OP operates the same as you do, so I can understand where is suspicion stems. Especially if his man is trying to be somewhat discrete when he takes them. It sounds like in your case, you'd almost have to get on your guy if he doesn't take pictures.

There's a whole thread on here (recently) about taking pics. A lot of different opinions - it's a good read

· Registered
20,780 Posts
Issue: Today towards the end of the day I'm pretty sure he was recording on his phone our start and finish times on residential jobs.

We are a small residential maintenance business with light landscaping jobs as well. Has anyone experienced this before? I will pay closer attention to this in the coming days. Is there reasonable cause to terminate? Obviously I cannot prove that as fact. But it seems he is screen shooting when we start and finish jobs.

Thanks in advance. I'm not sure how to approach the situation.
Just ask him why and quit grinding crap in your brain.....you don't know why, quit guessing and just ask him!!!!

· Registered
1 Posts
This sounds paranoid to me. You said he was a young kid. It could be a million things he is doing on the phone. My understanding is as soon as the job is done you guys hop in the Truck and he is instantly on his phone. Sounds like every young person to me lol. Like other people said if you think something is up just ask him. I bet it’s nothing

· Registered
54 Posts
yep! I forgot to add that to my last post. Totally agree.

At my FT job, I'm all about awkward and uncomfortable conversations (not that this particular conversation would be either of those). I just push right through that conversation. Be direct. Eye contact. Logical. Firm. Confident. Go down the rabbit hole a little bit when they start fumbling around. Make that person squirm and defend their comments or actions. Get them to walk it back a bit, and then I might restate in a nice way something like, "Glad we talked and cleared that up. I had to ask because I didn't think you'd say or do something like intentionally." (or whatever the situation calls for).

Someone talks crap about me at work. I address it. Simple as that. I'll make a point of stopping in and I'll ask. I'm not mean. But I am direct. I've learned if people know you're gonna call them on their BS, they stop.
This is gold. I also do the same. Results are always 100!

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks you for your response. I don't think it's to get faster as he is working directly with me. He is an at will employee.

I am mostly just asking if anyone has had something like this happen to them. I will be paying closer attention as the week goes on.

He always asks what we are charging for jobs etc. But I don't give out information. 99% of employees don't understand how much of a dollar a real business actually keeps.
What do you say to him when he asks what you are charging for jobs? I’ve had that happen also.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts