Employee issues

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I wouldnt give him a raise until he shows improvement because he has no experience. now say he had experience i'd say give him maybe 15 an hour. Honestly the way you can really get him to be motivated in doing a better job will be doing weekly or monthly assessments that start out with things he needs to work on but find tons of positives. out of all my business classes i have taken they have proven theories that raises do NOT motivate workers. it will motivate them for a week or two but theyll be back to their old selves eventually. You need to encourage them but commenting on good jobs and then saying a couple things youd like to see improvement on.

it's not about who does and doesn't have experience, it's about establishing what the position/work is worth.
If you insist on keeping pay low and not paying until an employee can prove himself to you, you will ALWAYS have an add out for DOE or $10/hr AND all the good guys will pass you up.
They won't waste their time on your add, they won't even bother to apply.
DOE means "Im hiring but Im a cheap stingy pain in the ass, don't think you'll ever see a raise" to anyone who is looking for work and is experienced.

Spend some time on your ads. pay the position what it's worth, if the guy who is in it isn't working out replace him, but now you have a rep for paying $15, not $10 and you will have someone TO replace him with.
Just the simple knowledge that your staff knows they can't just go get another job paying this anywhere they look will keep tim more in line and more appreciative.
That's why you pay more. Because it's worth it to pay more.
If the guy you have isn't working out don't insist on paying him 10 until he does. Simply replace him.

The way many of you are doing it bass ackwards. Stop doing it and you wills top having these problems.

OP
A

Agape

LawnSite Bronze Member
it's not about who does and doesn't have experience, it's about establishing what the position/work is worth.
If you insist on keeping pay low and not paying until an employee can prove himself to you, you will ALWAYS have an add out for DOE or $10/hr AND all the good guys will pass you up.
They won't waste their time on your add, they won't even bother to apply.
DOE means "Im hiring but Im a cheap stingy pain in the ass, don't think you'll ever see a raise" to anyone who is looking for work and is experienced.

Spend some time on your ads. pay the position what it's worth, if the guy who is in it isn't working out replace him, but now you have a rep for paying $15, not $10 and you will have someone TO replace him with.
Just the simple knowledge that your staff knows they can't just go get another job paying this anywhere they look will keep tim more in line and more appreciative.
That's why you pay more. Because it's worth it to pay more.
If the guy you have isn't working out don't insist on paying him 10 until he does. Simply replace him.

The way many of you are doing it bass ackwards. Stop doing it and you wills top having these problems.

When i hired this guy min wage was $8.75 and 10 for a beginner was reasonable.
I don't want to sound like he's a HORIBLE worker, he works hard- just absent minded and by now, he should be waaaay further than he is.
I show him the proper way to perform his duties, and he does it his way.
My way is faster and saves labor, his is the slower easier way. I can't tell you how many times I've told him to take every thing he needs into a back lawn, don't go hoe the beds, then go get the rake, then go get the shovel and bucket etc... I'm saying that he would have a raise were it not for these things and I think it's silly to NOW give him a raise and expect him to suddenly be a $12-13/hr employee.

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't want to sound like he's a HORIBLE worker, he works hard- just absent minded and by now, he should be waaaay further than he is.
My way is faster and saves labor, his is the slower easier way. I can't tell you how many times I've told him to take every thing he needs into a back lawn, don't go hoe the beds, then go get the rake, then go get the shovel and bucket etc... I'm saying that he would have a raise were it not for these things and I think it's silly to NOW give him a raise and expect him to suddenly be a $12-13/hr employee.

Yeah, so true. Sometimes companies make the mistake of thinking that just giving more money to slow/inefficient/un-motivated employees will simply just make them better employees! When you just end up with poor employees that are being paid more than they're worth. And in extreme cases, being "loss-leaders" that COST you money!!!! :cry::dizzy::sleeping:

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic

this is true.

it is too late for him and your company.

part of management is finding out what an employee is good at, and focusing his or her assignments on their strengths.
Happy employees are productive employees.
They first must have their "issues" solved.
They come to work because they need money, this is an issue.
I most often ask people what they need to make a week.
Not how much they want to make an hour.
Some people need to make ridiculous amounts of money, and you can't help them, some people will always be unproductive and lazy and they can't help you.
but you will never find the people who can mutually help you, and you they, by focusing your efforts on first hiring $9-11/hr guys and hoping to grow them.

Start the wages higher and they will know that they can't find work anywhere else that's better. Anyone who takes advantage of this, put them to the axe.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah, so true. Sometimes companies make the mistake of thinking that just giving more money to slow/inefficient/un-motivated employees will simply just make them better employees! When you just end up with poor employees that are being paid more than they're worth. And in extreme cases, being "loss-leaders" that COST you money!!!! :cry::dizzy::sleeping:

a 'loss-leader' is selling milk at $1/gallon to get people into your store and buy other things because they are there, like over priced bread and vegetables to make up for the low price of milk, That's why it's called a loss leader, you take a loss on one item to lead them into your others.

Employees aren't loss leaders.
Employees are assets, have you found a magic way to make money without them?
Please share!

Too many people on here crying about worthless employees, costing you to much money, not worth anything.

Seems to me to be the same people who can't keep or find any good ones.
Because the good ones won't come anywhere near you.

So please, educate us all on how you make money without any employees, are you going to still be doing this all on your own when your 67?

A. W. Landscapers Inc.

LawnSite Bronze Member

Your employee has proven that he can not follow direction.

If you haven't done so already, it is time to begin the process of finding his replacement.

Tuttled

LawnSite Member
There is bidding war for help here over the last few weeks. 2 weeks ago these ads were starting wage an $12-13/hr. Here is the latest one.

Hi I'm looking for a landscaper with 2 years plus experience who is able to work an aerator, power rake, power vac, and a billy goat.
- Start work May 1st until end of August
- Expected to work 40 hours per week
- Able to work more then 40 hours if wanted
- No weekend work expected but able to work if wanted
- Work with a team of three
- 17/ hour
- Each month have team building events like barbecues

Please respond with a cover letter and only respond if you do have two years of experience and are able to run the equipment mentioned above. If selected for an interview you will be contacted within the next 48 hours. If you do have any questions about the job you can email to the add or call me at xxx xxx xxxx

I'm glad, for these employees, it is a living wage! My opinion is if you can't pay someone enough to live on, don't hire any help. Plus the more they make the more I make.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
There is bidding war for help here over the last few weeks. 2 weeks ago these ads were starting wage an $12-13/hr. Here is the latest one.

Hi I'm looking for a landscaper with 2 years plus experience who is able to work an aerator, power rake, power vac, and a billy goat.
- Start work May 1st until end of August
- Expected to work 40 hours per week
- Able to work more then 40 hours if wanted
- No weekend work expected but able to work if wanted
- Work with a team of three
- 17/ hour
- Each month have team building events like barbecues

Please respond with a cover letter and only respond if you do have two years of experience and are able to run the equipment mentioned above. If selected for an interview you will be contacted within the next 48 hours. If you do have any questions about the job you can email to the add or call me at xxx xxx xxxx

I'm glad, for these employees, it is a living wage! My opinion is if you can't pay someone enough to live on, don't hire any help. Plus the more they make the more I make.

I agree with this.

Sounds like I wrote the ad :laugh:

Isn't 17/hr in CAN more like 15/hr in USD or is that the other way around?

Tuttled

LawnSite Member
The exchange is 10.5% right now. 17-10.5%=15.22 in USD. Our minimum wage is $10 an hour. Suppose to rise in October. $10 might be enough for a kid going to school still living at home, but next to nothing in the real world. A one bedroom apartment or basement suite starts at $900 a month.

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic
a 'loss-leader' is selling milk at $1/gallon to get people into your store and buy other things because they are there, like over priced bread and vegetables to make up for the low price of milk, That's why it's called a loss leader, you take a loss on one item to lead them into your others.

Employees aren't loss leaders.
Employees are assets, have you found a magic way to make money without them?
Please share!

Too many people on here crying about worthless employees, costing you to much money, not worth anything.

Seems to me to be the same people who can't keep or find any good ones.
Because the good ones won't come anywhere near you.

So please, educate us all on how you make money without any employees, are you going to still be doing this all on your own when your 67?

Any employee that is needlessly slow, redundant in his work habits, and essentially has to be "carried" by his co-workers on a regular basis is NOT an asset to the company. Employees get terminated for poor work performance all the time. It's the old "You,re not right for this job" talk. In the end are you guys running companies or charities?!?

Top Forums