Employee issues

eggy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Maybe I am wrong seasonal job 10 -13 a hour no health insurance, 401k. , no vacation, sick time ... Not going to attract those great employees you are wanting
Posted via Mobile Device

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
Maybe I am wrong seasonal job 10 -13 a hour no health insurance, 401k. , no vacation, sick time ... Not going to attract those great employees you are wanting
Posted via Mobile Device

But wait....you get to work in the extreme heat, rain, eaten by fire ants, itch all over from pulling god knows what those vines are, get pricked by branches, listen to lonesome customers, keep equipment running that is past due for replacement and on and on. What more could you ask for?

eggy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Around here the average wage for a full time employee is 32k my suggestion is college kids or someone commuting to school, or at least that has worked for us
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
$10/hr will not motivate an employee. Give him a raise and tell him to pick up the pace.

Wrong way around.

If this kid is worth that much, then he needs to show it.

I've only made it through page 1 so far and not all of the OP, but I would fire him.

Hire slow, fire fast. From what I read of your post agape, you can pay him $100\hour and it won't cure his terminal case of cranial\rectal inversion.

TX Easymoney

LawnSite Platinum Member
Posted via Mobile Device
Or maybe most would rather go out on their own...too many guys working on the weekend only with a pickup driving prices
Posted via Mobile Device

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
Wrong way around.

I've only made it through page 1 so far and not all of the OP, but I would fire him.

Hire slow, fire fast. From what I read of your post agape, you can pay him $100\hour and it won't cure his terminal case of cranial\rectal inversion.

If 'this kid' has cranial/rectal inversion he never should have been sent out on his own.

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
That what i'm doing documenting

More per hour isn't going to get more out of this guy. He had zero experience and was hoping for $10/ hr when i hired him, he would have a raise by now without asking me if he paid attention to what he was doing.

My ads in CL and Employment office are 11-13/ hr DOE which is competitive in my area. Just getting ZERO QUALIFIED APPLICANTS. Need to hire someone now in addition to him.

$11 - $13 hr DOE means he should be getting $11 per your add.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Wrong way around.

What several of us are saying is it's not about "This" particular kid… It's about offering enough to attract a decent person.

If you were going to offer say… $14/hr…you would have NEVER hired this kid in the first place, because someone else worth at least $12 would have showed up.

Raise the wage, and broaden the scope of who you have an option to hire.

Hiring at $11-$13 will attract a body, that uses oxygen, and generally has hands and feet and can manage self locomotion… speed may vary.

$14-$16 will attract the losers that fit the 11-13, hoping they will get hired, and a few fellows that can chew with their mouth closed, use less oxygen, breathe through their nose and are capable of independent thought.

$17-$18 should be "Gimme a list Ill get it done boss"

IF you advertise for 11-13…the guys willing to work 14-18 will never show up.

You can't hope to find the right fish, sticking your hook in the wrong pond.

You CANNOT send anyone off on their own that isn't worth 16-18 and not expect mayhem and massive loss of financial security.
This would be like saying "hulk smash" and expecting there to be not much damage to the city….

eggy

LawnSite Bronze Member
What several of us are saying is it's not about "This" particular kid… It's about offering enough to attract a decent person.

If you were going to offer say… $14/hr…you would have NEVER hired this kid in the first place, because someone else worth at least $12 would have showed up.

Raise the wage, and broaden the scope of who you have an option to hire.

Hiring at $11-$13 will attract a body, that uses oxygen, and generally has hands and feet and can manage self locomotion… speed may vary.

$14-$16 will attract the losers that fit the 11-13, hoping they will get hired, and a few fellows that can chew with their mouth closed, use less oxygen, breathe through their nose and are capable of independent thought.

$17-$18 should be "Gimme a list Ill get it done boss"

IF you advertise for 11-13…the guys willing to work 14-18 will never show up.

You can't hope to find the right fish, sticking your hook in the wrong pond.

You CANNOT send anyone off on their own that isn't worth 16-18 and not expect mayhem and massive loss of financial security.
This would be like saying "hulk smash" and expecting there to be not much damage to the city….
Well said
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmonkey0311

LawnSite Gold Member
Your employee has proven that he can not follow direction.

If you haven't done so already, it is time to begin the process of finding his replacement.

Exactly! Doesn't matter if you pay him $10,$15,$20 an hour. The point is, he doesn't follow directions. Maybe he doesn't care, or he's a bit on the "slow" side. Either way, what your asking for isn't getting done. Motivate your employees and stop paying them more because you think they will work harder.

There are always people looking for a job, just take your time and search for them. It may take weeks or months...be patient.

Top Forums